Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/03 08:02:34 UTC

[Iteration 3] AOO Video - Social Media Integration on OO.org Site

Hello All,

In anticipation of AOO4, I want to start a discussion on the video and
maybe a microsite to drive this video's overall presentation.

------ Micro-Site Idea ----
Micro-site for new users, references from external websites, our "About"
for end users", mostly new users.
URL would be easy like "welcome.openoffice.org/" or "openoffice.org/welcome"
or "openoffice.org/guttentag" for german etc. Have to confirm with infra
peers on possibilities / restrictions.
A micro-site to "join the office revolution". This micro-site should be a
red carpet entrance for new users, welcome, we're expecting you [clueless
new users, yes you who stumbled here because a friend posted this],
everything is here waiting to help you.

Scope:
A Video (I need help forming this idea and producing something)
HTML Page (I can contribute to completing this)

Audience:
Social Media Followers and their friends/connections
New Users
Returning Users for AOO4

Deadline: to have this before launch of AOO4.

My Initial Idea:

The HTML [HTML5 maybe] page could be a picture of a computer monitor
centered in an environment, the background environment emphasizes the
market we are appealing to.

The screen on the monitor is our nice video (embedded youtube video in the
page).
Examples:
Corporate: bland, grey cubical desktop and maybe some office supplies and
whiteboard.
School: school desk, crayons, notebooks, microscope, chalkboard behind.
Doctor's office, stethoscope and clipboard on a medical stretcher / bed.
Campus:  Laptop on campus/park bench.

On refresh or on click we change the background to others.  And have
customer quotes, from real doctors, teachers, students, professionals.
Maybe real customer company or small business can issue a public statement.
A company would love exposure to our 100k+ visitors a day.

Samer

Re: [Iteration 3] AOO Video - Social Media Integration on OO.org Site

Posted by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com>.
Rob,

Main usage I believe would be to use this as the "Share Us" link, where
social references point to.
My hypothesis, is that social references are mainly new users, friends of
current users. Google analytics would prove/disprove my theory, make up of
users hitting page. new vs returning.

We can SEO it so that it shows up as a related search, or sub-search ie.
google often links things like support, download and about under the main
sites heading.  Welcome could be one, not sure how we can influence that.

Link from home page, "learn more".
Link from download page, learn more about OO.
Link from micro-site to download, "Convinced? Continue to Download page"
situation.

Couple possibilities.  During installation, after they click finish, launch
the browser to the webpage. openoffice.org/welcome?ref=install
Special balloon "Thank you for choosing AOO" for ref=install.  This
behaviour often occurs after flash, firefox and other product
installations.
Video, mainly visual fly over features or screen captures and some facts,
reasons to use AOO.
Free, reliable, open source, etc.

I'm thinking panes that wipe across the screen, each focuses on a component
and its features, ie compatible with MS Office Word Docs etc, stunning new
presentation backgrounds. etc. First pane is video, there is a navigation
with visual cue of the panes as well. They can skip, last pane is download
now.
Also above is download now, big green button always displayed.

Some ideas.

Samer

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.