Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Maxim Muzafarov <ma...@gmail.com> on 2018/11/07 16:35:51 UTC

[DISCUSSION] The process of creating an Ignite Enhancement Proposal

Igniters,

I think, our community have accumulated enough experience with the process of
Ignite Enhancement Proposal (IEP) of introducing the major changes
into the Apache
Ignite. Now we have to take one step forward and make every major change and\or
improvement clear not only for community developers but also for the
Apache Ignite
users too.

Currently, I've seen two different strategies with creating IEPs:
 - Single IEP per single major improvement;
 - Single IEP per unit of functionality (group a few major improvements);

Both of them have different advantages and disadvantages.

Let's remove the ambiguity and build a convenient working process. For example,
we may consider the best practices used in other open-source projects [2] [3].

I propose to (and also propose to update the corresponding wiki page [1] and our
community processes):
 - use to "Single IEP per single major improvement" approach;
 - do not group the major enhancements into the single IEP;
 - avoid inaccurate proposal names (e.g. optimization, improvement,
stabilization of etc.);
 - for any public API changes create the IEP;
 - add a `compatibility\mirgration` section to IEP Template;
 - add a `public API changes` section to the IEP Template;
 - link each major release note with the corresponding IEP page (users
will have a
   better understanding of each feature).

 Igniters, please, share your thoughts.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/Ignite+Enhancement+Proposal
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Kafka+Improvement+Proposals
[3] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SAMZA/Samza+Enhancement+Proposal

Re: [DISCUSSION] The process of creating an Ignite Enhancement Proposal

Posted by Павлухин Иван <vo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Maxim,

Single IEP per a major change looks desirable for me. But
I have doubts that it is always feasible.

Regarding naming. Could you please provide a couple of
examples of inaccurate names and how they might have
been improved?

--
Best regards,
Ivan Pavlukhin

Re: [DISCUSSION] The process of creating an Ignite Enhancement Proposal

Posted by Maxim Muzafarov <ma...@gmail.com>.
Vladimir,

>  If someone else will find more optimizations in the same are while the first IEP is still active, he can join this IEP.

You fit the right problem case. If someone finds a new optimization
opportunity (it's totally normal) he joins to an active `IEP
Optimization X`. Simultaneously with the need to describe the design
of current major improvement united with the others major improvements
described by IEP the whole page dramatically increases. The whole
complexity becomes very big (multiple designs). This is what I worry
about.

My proposal is to choose between different strategies and not to allow
describing multiple major feature designs on a single page. Assume
these features are completely different.
So, what we have:

`Single IEP per unit of functionality`
 - IEP-100: Optimization X
   | - Change 1