Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by tim fulcher <fu...@drink.bt.co.uk> on 2001/10/05 13:03:31 UTC

webDAV server in mod_perl?

Hi

I'm arriving at the conclusion that a few of the things I'm trying to do
in my application are basically pseudo webDAV type actions such as
PROPFIND
& PROPATCH, but currently all handled on the server side via Perl & PHP.
I'm looking to see whether I could move to a proper webDAV type
solution but reuse a lot of the work I've already done. Client side
libraries seem to be reasonably prolific in a number of languages but
server side
implementations are a bit thin on the ground.

The mod_dav module seems to be a solution of kinds, though people seem
to have lots of hassle getting it to operate alongside mod_perl (indeed
my build of  mod_dav as a shared object with mod_perl built statically
prevented the server starting up properly).
But the reason I'd rather not use mod_dav is that  I want more control
over how the properties get stored. Ideally I'd want some abstraction to
the
storage layer where I could try out different ideas (Berkeley DB, MySQL
or whatever) to stash the properties (dead ones I guess), plus maybe
lock and version information of resources

The Jakarta Slide approach seems more akin to what I'm after with webDAV
functionality as just a component, but for now I'd like to stick to
something
in Perl or maybe PHP.

Frankly I'm surprised no one seems to have attempted a Perl server side
webDAV implementation by now :-)

Anybody out there tinkered with the possibilities of a mod_perl based
webDAV server  ?

cheers

Tim Fulcher

Re: webDAV server in mod_perl?

Posted by Robin Berjon <ro...@knowscape.com>.
On Friday 05 October 2001 13:03, tim fulcher wrote:
> Frankly I'm surprised no one seems to have attempted a Perl server side
> webDAV implementation by now :-)

I've been thinking about it for a while, but haven't had the time to get down
and have a close look at the details. A completely hookable WebDAV
server-side implementation in mod_perl would definitely be a must. I too
don't want to have to use mod_dav as it makes the property, lock, collection,
and file storages pretty much hardcoded. I'd like to put properties and locks
into a db, collections as virtual URLs (URIs really), and files in some sort
of custom data store. I also want in and out filtering of the properties so
that I could accomplish my idea of mixing DAV and RDDL, something which imho
would be a great solution (though it requires extending RDDL somewhat).

By all means if you do have the time, jump ahead !

Robin Berjon <ro...@knowscape.com> -- CTO
k n o w s c a p e : // venture knowledge agency www.knowscape.com
"Many people would sooner die than think. In fact, they do."
-- Bertrand Russell

Re: webDAV server in mod_perl?

Posted by Craig McLane <cm...@citysearch.com>.
There was some talk on the mod_perl dev list a week or so ago by Gerald
Richter of using some of the XS auto generation functionality in mod_perl
2.0 to wrap mod_dav inside perl.

Here is work he has done posted to the web_dav list:
 http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=dav-announce&m=100139218624911&w=2

Here is the posting the the mod_perl dev list:
 http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=100141271317363&w=2

Craig