Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Vikas Khengare <Vi...@symantec.com> on 2006/01/30 15:23:04 UTC

Why do we use BitSet class ?

Hi Friends........

    I am very New to Lucene World !!! As this world is interesting to me
So I want to go in deep level of it to realize the beauty of it.
So can you help me to realize that beauty ?

    I have question

1] Why do use BitSet Class ?
2] Is it required in Filtering / Sorting of results or to Index ?
3] What do you means by Inverted Index ?
4] Can we give limit to no. of hits returned by Searcher.

Thanks.

Best Regards
[ vikas_khengare@symantec.com ]

Re: Why do we use BitSet class ?

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: 1] Why do use BitSet Class ?
: 2] Is it required in Filtering / Sorting of results or to Index ?

BitSet is a usefull class for lots of things.  the only time (that i know
of) where it is part of the public lucene API is in the interaction
between a Filter and the IndexSearcher ... so unless you are writting your
own Filters, no it's not required that you use a BitSet.

: 3] What do you means by Inverted Index ?

That's a pretty broad question... start with googling for the expression
and see if the info you find helps you understand the concept.

: 4] Can we give limit to no. of hits returned by Searcher.

Searchers score documents in doc id order ... so you don't really want a
way to limit the searcher.  what you want is a way to only get the first N
results once hte searcher has scored them all and ordered them by score.
doesn't that is just a matter of stopping at N when you iterate over a
Hits object.

-Hoss

Re: Why do we use BitSet class ?

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Please do not cross-post your questions.  Your questions are best
asked solely to java-user.

	Erik