Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2004/07/06 14:29:59 UTC

plugin dependencies

Hi,

After dIon prompted me to take a look yesterday afternoon I figured a way to
load the plugin contexts on the fly without messing up the order of things, so
maven:get/maven:set (and their legacy versions pluginVar
and getPluginContext) now initialise a plugin if it is not already initialised.

This means that all of the following are valid ways of introducing a plugin, and
work together:
- using a dynamic tag library from it
- using a goal from it
- using maven:get/maven:set

The odd behaviour of <j:set working only before initialisation to push it into
the plugin context will continue to work, but is not something we want to
encourage, so the documented way of manipulating plugin properties needs to be
maven:get/maven:set. I won't document the dependency-handle stuff in this case
as that really has nothing to do with the use of plugin properties. That was
only the chosen preferred fashion last year because it was (marginally) better
than a goal prereq.

I've added deprecation warnings to all the :load goals and :dependecy-handle
tags I could find. Vincent, you might like to do this for cactus too.

Cheers,
Brett

RE: plugin dependencies

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Sure! I will do this. Thanks again for your insight.

-Vincent

RE: plugin dependencies

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Thanks Vincent,