Posted to dev@diversity.apache.org by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@apache.org> on 2020/01/14 17:29:02 UTC

Introductions to have EDI representation at the ASF booth at FOSDEM

(cc'ing Sally Khudairi and dev@diversity.apache.org for visibility)

Hi Myrle, Sharan and Daniel,

I'm getting you in touch because you all will be attending FOSDEM and it'd
be a great opportunity for us to have EDI presence at the ASF booth.

Sharan, Myrle - Daniel and I discussed that it'd be great to have some sort
of Office Hour for the 2020 ASF Community Survey, where people can stop by
and:
- Ask questions about the survey
- Fill the survey if they haven't done so, and
- Sign up to be interviewed in the User Experience Research for contributors

All that's needed is to coordinate a date and time for Daniel to be at the
booth, have a laptop with access to the internet so we can open the survey
in case someone wants to complete it and have a system to sign up people
interested in participating in the UX Research for contributors.

Daniel - I'll let you coordinate with Myrle and Sharan the best time and
date to do this. Note that this is a public thread, so you might want to
refine details privately if you wish so.

Once you three have decided on the details and format, let me know so I can
send a note to the diversity list and the ComDev list, we should also keep
Sally informed of this, so she can promote through the initiatives she
might already be planning for FOSDEM.

Thanks all,

Re: Introductions to have EDI representation at the ASF booth at FOSDEM

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@apache.org>.
Thanks Sharan,

@Daniel Izquierdo <di...@bitergia.com>  + @Georg Link
<gl...@bitergia.com> - I'd let you schedule the time that best suits you.
Could you update the thread with the dates and time you selected?

Posted by Georg Link <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi everyone,

I like the idea of the 2020 ASF Community Survey office hour at FOSDEM.
I could also stop by the ASF booth and help.

Best,
Georg

> On Jan 14, 2020, at 6:29 PM, Griselda Cuevas <gr...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> (cc'ing Sally Khudairi and dev@diversity.apache.org for visibility)
>
> Hi Myrle, Sharan and Daniel,
>
> I'm getting you in touch because you all will be attending FOSDEM and it'd
> be a great opportunity for us to have EDI presence at the ASF booth.
>
> Sharan, Myrle - Daniel and I discussed that it'd be great to have some sort
> of Office Hour for the 2020 ASF Community Survey, where people can stop by
> and:
> - Ask questions about the survey
> - Fill the survey if they haven't done so, and
> - Sign up to be interviewed in the User Experience Research for contributors
>
> All that's needed is to coordinate a date and time for Daniel to be at the
> booth, have a laptop with access to the internet so we can open the survey
> in case someone wants to complete it and have a system to sign up people
> interested in participating in the UX Research for contributors.
>
> Daniel - I'll let you coordinate with Myrle and Sharan the best time and
> date to do this. Note that this is a public thread, so you might want to
> refine details privately if you wish so.
>
> Once you three have decided on the details and format, let me know so I can
> send a note to the diversity list and the ComDev list, we should also keep
> Sally informed of this, so she can promote through the initiatives she
> might already be planning for FOSDEM.
>
> Thanks all,

Georg Link
(he/him)

Re: Introductions to have EDI representation at the ASF booth at FOSDEM

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 8:07 AM Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.

Thanks for quick reply...

Serious Question; How is Equity (equality in outcome) even defined within
the context of the ASF?

I have a real problem in understanding the "equity" concept within ASF. The
fence analogy with freeloaders; What is the fence? What is being watched?
What tickets are we selling to those "rich people" in the stands who pays
to get a proper view?

Hint: add the word "diversity" to the search to see results more
> closely aligned with this scope.

It is 8AM, and brain is not fully activated yet.

// Niclas

Re: Introductions to have EDI representation at the ASF booth at FOSDEM

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 6:52 PM Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:

> For us who is struggling to keep up with acronyms; What does EDI[1] stand
> for?

Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.  For example, see:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/EDI/

> // Niclas
>
> [1] The first few pages of a Google search is about Electronic Data
> Interchange, which doesn't fit this scope.

Hint: add the word "diversity" to the search to see results more
closely aligned with this scope.

- Sam Ruby

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@apache.org>.

> I thought the survey had closed? Did I miss an announcement about it being
> extended?
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

You didn't miss anything, the deadline has passed, and even when we have
enough data for a significant analysis we are still short on the goal we
set of having 700 responses. We are at 600.

If this particular initiative of having Daniel be at the ASF booth can be
possible, then I will work with Sally on announce an official extension.

Re: Introductions to have EDI representation at the ASF booth at FOSDEM

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
The longer acronym for D&I that’s both HTML/URL compliant but also includes
the overarching goals of the working group/committee. There’s an email
thread about this from back when the lists began.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Introductions to have EDI representation at the ASF booth at FOSDEM

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.
Sorry: what is "EDI"?

Cheers,
Sally