Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Darren Kahan <dk...@hotwire.com> on 2007/01/12 00:18:36 UTC

Struts 1.1 resets into a bad state

All,

We're a Struts 1.1 shop using a weblogic container.  Occasionally we see
that the struts controller re-initializes itself when we are performing
a (seemingly) unrelated Mbean call to refresh some cached system
properties.  Here's the output struts produces when the init starts:

####<Jan 10, 2007 11:33:58 AM PST> <Info> <HTTP> <--> <-->
<ExecuteThread: '0' for queue: 'default'> <<anonymous>> <> <BEA-101047>
<[ServletContext(id=14917721,name=xyzWebApp,context-path=/xyz)]
strutsController: init>

And from this point forward, ALL requests to the controller servlet have
an NPE:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.getServletContext(RequestProce
ssor.java:1136)

Has anybody seen a similar error from Struts before?  What triggers the
strutsController's init method?  What would cause the strutsController
to lose the ServletContext?

This error is not easily reproduced, so any insight would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
- Darren