Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Harish Krishnaswamy <hk...@comcast.net> on 2003/10/18 17:44:05 UTC

Tapestry documentation

Hi,

I think it is high time we bring the documentation up-to-date. I
volunteer to make an effort on this "daunting task"! I can start with
the tutorial. I am thinking of just modifying the current tutorial to
reflect the current version. I am also planning to take a look at Neil's
work and steal some of it if that would not be a problem. If anyone has
other ideas/suggestions/comments please let me know.

Cheers,
Harish

Re: Tapestry documentation

Posted by Harish Krishnaswamy <hk...@comcast.net>.

Mindbridge wrote:

>>Hi,
>>
>>I think it is high time we bring the documentation up-to-date. I
>>volunteer to make an effort on this "daunting task"! I can start with
>>the tutorial. I am thinking of just modifying the current tutorial to
>>reflect the current version. I am also planning to take a look at Neil's
>>work and steal some of it if that would not be a problem. If anyone has
>>other ideas/suggestions/comments please let me know.
>>

>Cool :). Please do let me know if I can lend a hand.
>
>One thing that I was about to do just now is prepare a "minimal Tapestry
>application" that can serve as a starting point for making new Tapestry
>apps. The idea was to have a directory with context, etc, a build.xml that
>generates a war file, project files for Eclipse (w/ Spindle), IntelliJ Idea,
>and JBuilder, (and perhaps NetBeans) and the very minimum of web-application
>related files, such as Home.html, web.xml, etc. Basically, a new developer
>should just be able to copy-paste this directory from the distribution to a
>location of his choice and be in the game.

This is certainly something that will give a jump start to newbies, will
be very helpful.

>This is similar to MyWorkSpace, I guess -- would you like to do it? Or shall
>I do something and you can modify it?

I would like to do it, but I tend to sign up for more things than I can
really get to and I am becoming conscious of this. So I am going to keep
this as the second priority to documentation. In the mean time if you
find time and want to put together a base, that will be great.

>A slightly related topic:
>
>At the moment we bundle Workbench.war in the distribution, which is quite
>good -- makes things easy, but that causes one issue -- the Tapestry related
>jars are duplicated, which increases the size of the download by about 2MB.
>Perhaps we can put in the necessary files in the download and have a task in
>the build.xml that will build the war? The same thing can be done for the
>"starting point" application described above. (The down-side is that we have
>to rely on developers reading the README file...)
>
> How does this sound?

I think we should bundle the wars with the distribution. There are a lot
of people that will just not take the effort to build the war (not to
mention that they will have to have ant setup) and will just move on to
easier solutions. Why is the size of the distribution an issue? Although
it certainly will be much cleaner your way.

RE: Tapestry documentation

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net>.
I'm not too worried about code bloat in this age of broadband.

There was a criticism of Tapestry that you couldn't just drop the Workbench.war into your servlet
container to see what it did ... that's why I made the change to include the libraries directly in
the .war.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components

RE: Tapestry documentation

Posted by David Solis <ds...@legosoft.com.mx>.

It sounds good to me.

Regards

D.

Re: Tapestry documentation

Posted by Mindbridge <mi...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Tapestry documentation

Posted by Harish Krishnaswamy <hk...@comcast.net>.
I have started rambling in this regard in Wiki under the topic
Developer's Guide! Please help shape it up.

Thanks,
Harish

Re: Tapestry documentation

Posted by Harish Krishnaswamy <hk...@comcast.net>.