Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au> on 2007/03/01 00:06:19 UTC

Re: NullPointerException after batik update

Hi Martin.

Martin Constantine:
> Any word on this issue? Do you need any clarification/information?
> Please let me know what I can do to help. Thanks again.

Sorry, I’ve been a little busy lately.

I had a look, and yes it seems there’s a bug there.  I wasn’t able to
reproduce it with the test file you gave, though.  I’ve committed a
change: please let me know if it fixes your problem.

Thanks,

Cameron

--
Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/

Re: NullPointerException after batik update

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au>.
Cameron McCormack:
> Sorry I’m away at the moment and probably won’t get a chance to look at
> it for a couple of weeks.  After a *brief* look, it may be that that
> AnimationEngine.java:347 line,
>
>   if (sandwich.shouldUpdate || sandwich.animation.isDirty) {
>
> just needs a guard against the NPE with
>
>   if (sandwich.shouldUpdate ||
>       sandwich.animation != null && sandwich.animation.isDirty) {
>
> but I’ll have to investigate more deeply that there isn’t a deeper bug
> causing the problem.

I’ve (finally) commited this fix to SVN.

Cameron

Posted by Martin Constantine <ma...@lecture123.com>.
After stress testing we discovered that there is a performance issue wrt
to Overlays. our app implements the Overlay interface, to permit users
to draw strokes on the canvas. When strokes are made with the mouse, all
is fine, but if strokes are made with the pen from a tablet PC, there is
significantly more lag. Could this be related in some way to the problem
we were addressing?

Posted by Martin Constantine <ma...@lecture123.com>.
Cameron,

Posted by Martin Constantine <ma...@lecture123.com>.

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au>.
Martin Constantine:

Posted by Martin Constantine <ma...@lecture123.com>.
Hi Cameron,

Posted by Martin Constantine <ma...@lecture123.com>.

Posted by Martin Constantine <ma...@lecture123.com>.
Rats!! Pre-mature rejoicing is never a good thing. Sorry. I was able to
get past navigating the first slides, then I revisited the slides and
saw a repeat of the symptoms. Here's the exception:

java.lang.NullPointerException
         at
org.apache.batik.anim.AnimationEngine.tick(AnimationEngine.java:347)
         at
org.apache.batik.bridge.SVGAnimationEngine.access$600(SVGAnimationEngine.java:98)
         at
org.apache.batik.bridge.SVGAnimationEngine$AnimationTickRunnable.run(SVGAnimationEngine.java:844)
         at org.apache.batik.util.RunnableQueue.run(RunnableQueue.java:237)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Posted by Martin Constantine <ma...@lecture123.com>.