Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by James Pike <jp...@net-link.net> on 1997/12/31 00:24:50 UTC

general/1609: Apache DoS attack, creates a high load on the apache server.

>Number:         1609
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Apache DoS attack, creates a high load on the apache server.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Here's a simple exploit for Apache httpd version 1.2.x (tested on 1.2.4).
When launched, causes incerases of victim's load average and extreme
slowdowns of disk operations. On my i586 Linux annoying slowdown has been
experienced immediately (after maybe 5 seconds). After about 4 minutes
work has been turned into real hell (286?).

Take a look at BUGTRAQ http://www.geek-girl.com/bugtraq/1997_4/0563.html
>How-To-Repeat:
Yes, I have been able to repeat the problem on my machines.
>Fix:
Non