Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2012/11/07 20:27:58 UTC

[Discussion] Implementing a dedicated maven-flex-plugin

Hi,

as most of you probably know, I'm currently working on a tool to generate Mavenized FDKs. In parallel I am adjusting Flexmojos to support the new Apache FDKs so people can build Flex applications using Maven.

So far so good. After finishing the Generator and adjusting Flexmojos to all of my changes, the last step was to generate the 4.8 FDK using the maven group id org.apache.flex instead of com.adobe.flex.

Now this introduced MAJOR problems. Currently you could use Flexmojos with 4.8, if you compile the entire Plugin against the group id of apache or you could use the adobe fdks after compiling it against the adobe group id.
The main reason is that otherwise Maven imports two versions of the jars (the one of the FDK you want and the one Flexmojos was compiled against).

Sorting this out would be a total nightmare as there are really magical hacks working inside the build which cause any change in the scopes of dependencies to blow everything up.
I guess this is because Flexmojos includes insanely much code for supporting legacy FDKs (back to 2.0 FDKs) and a ton of different tools for different parts of the build lifecycle.

My question now would be if it would not be better to officially leave Flexmojos to be compiled against com.adobe.flex and to include an option in the generator to generate the Apache FDKs to the Adobe namespace and to let users be happy with that and use it.

In parallel I would volunteer to start work on a new plugin aimed at apache flex, but leaving away support of the Adobe FDKs. I would suggest to concentrate on the main path, supporting only apache fdks, only flexunit 4.1 for unit-testing, only the newest granite code generator and so on. In this case this should be a manageable task, even if it will take a while. As soon as the Version 1.0 is out we could start extending this to support more stuff our users would need. I think continuing to add more and more code to Flexmojos will only make it an unmaintainable monster whith all the problems comming from that.

As I mentioned, I would volunteer to start such a thing and I think using Flexmojos as an inspiration on how to possibly implement something like that it should be manageable.

What do you think?

Chris

AW: [Discussion] Implementing a dedicated maven-flex-plugin

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Yeah ... I'm sort of counting on that.

Even if I know that the initial effort in creating a compiler-mojo will not be easily distributed, but as soon as that step is taken we're good to do it "The Apache Way" (Learnt that in the Community Track on the ApacheCon today ;-) )

Chris

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: [Discussion] Implementing a dedicated maven-flex-plugin

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Chris,

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: [Discussion] Implementing a dedicated maven-flex-plugin

Posted by "Eugene Krevenets (aka Hyzhak)" <hy...@yandex.com>.
Yes, it's sounds good. And github pull request can be merged to Apache Flex Repo?

RE: AW: [Discussion] Implementing a dedicated maven-flex-plugin

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

Testing FlexMojos 6.0-SNAPSHOT, everything goes well in legacy mode (AKA
com.adobe as groupId prefix), the hassle is only because some of the
airglobal.swc doesn't match any AIR SDK currently available at
http://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/archived-air-sdk-version.html :

Couldn't find matching airglobal for FDK 3.0.0.477A and a publicly available
AIR SDK.
Couldn't find matching airglobal for FDK 3.0.1.1732A and a publicly
available AIR SDK.
Couldn't find matching airglobal for FDK 3.1.0.2710A and a publicly
available AIR SDK.

And something weird for FDK 3.5.0.12683B is that is supposed to be in AIR
1.5.3 but the airglobal.swc doesn't match the one in the AIR SDK 1.5.3

The only things I found on the web was :

4.1.0.16076 - adt version "2.0.2.12610"
4.0.0.14159 - adt version "1.5.3.9120"
3.5.0.12683 - adt version "1.5.3.9120"
3.4.1.10084 - adt version "1.5.2.8870"
3.4.0.9271 - adt version "1.5.2.8870"
3.2.0.3958 - adt version "1.5.0.7220"
3.0.0.477 - adt doesn't support version so I'm guessing a rev of 1.0

Does someone from Adobe know which versions of the AIR SDK matches the Flex
SDK 3.0.0.477A, 3.0.1.1732A, 3.1.0.2710A and where to get them ?
And why the Flex SDK 3.5.0.12683B which is supposed to match the AIR SDK
1.5.3 has not the same airglobal.swc than the relative AIR SDK and none the
publicly available AIR SDK either ?

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Ok.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/7/12 4:13 PM, "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>
wrote:

> But in my oppinion the plugin shouln't be part of the SDK as the SDK isn't a
> maven project itself.
> It would be a nightmare to setup a build for all. I would sort of see it as a
> separate project with a dependency on
> the Flex SDK which is converted using my Generator.
Source in the Apache Flex source control can be released on different
schedules, so there is no requirement that if the plugin code is part of
Apache Flex it has to be released with the SDK.  I expect we'll have many
other things on different release cycles (Falcon, for instance)

> But setting up a github project sounds good. As I'm not a committer, I would
> probably stetup a repo and as soon
> as I have something we could work with, I could push everything to any repo
> you like.
If you donate the code via JIRA you will likely earn committer status
quickly.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

AW: [Discussion] Implementing a dedicated maven-flex-plugin

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
But in my oppinion the plugin shouln't be part of the SDK as the SDK isn't a maven project itself.
It would be a nightmare to setup a build for all. I would sort of see it as a separate project with a dependency on
the Flex SDK which is converted using my Generator.

But setting up a github project sounds good. As I'm not a committer, I would probably stetup a repo and as soon
as I have something we could work with, I could push everything to any repo you like.

But I doubt that I'll be able to have result in the next weeks. My work on the Generator and Flexmojos has allready
had a very bad impact on some "commercial deadlines" I had. As I don't want to lose those customers, I'll have to
Do a little for them first ;-)

Chris

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> And it does not support pull requests.

Not directly but for a given pull request you can generate a patch file and apply that to SVN easily enough. Only minor issuer is I'm not sure how you close the pull request.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33175

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [Discussion] Implementing a dedicated maven-flex-plugin

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dasa Paddock <dp...@esri.com>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Eugene Krevenets (aka Hyzhak)" <hy...@yandex.com>.