Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com> on 2002/02/12 12:11:00 UTC

Using APR in mod_webapp

Hi,

I have a question:

mod_webapp from Tomcat uses APR:

Where should APR be downloaded from? - It must be a tarball because that is for
the ones that want to build mod_webapp on their own -
Until now I was adding apr to a subdirectory of mod_webapp and releasing the
corresponding tarball. (Normaly I am using an APR tagged for httpd-2.0).
Using the snapshot of APR http://cvs.apache.org/snapshots/apr/ does not sound
good for at least 2 reasons:
- The sources of Tomcat are always what is used to build the binaries.
- I am not sure that everyone is ready to mix a snapshot with a released
product.

Cheers

Jean-frederic

Re: Using APR in mod_webapp

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"jean-frederic clere" <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com> wrote:

> Sander Striker wrote:
>>
>>> From: jfclere@vtxrm2.bcn.fsc.net [mailto:jfclere@vtxrm2.bcn.fsc.net]On
>>> Behalf Of jean-frederic clere
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a question:
>>>
>>> mod_webapp from Tomcat uses APR:
>>>
>>> Where should APR be downloaded from? - It must be a tarball because that is
>>> for
>>> the ones that want to build mod_webapp on their own -
>>> Until now I was adding apr to a subdirectory of mod_webapp and releasing the
>>> corresponding tarball. (Normaly I am using an APR tagged for httpd-2.0).
>>
>> Why are you moving away from that now?
>
> Because mod_webapp has been released in jakarta-tomcat-connectors-4.0.2-src.
> jakarta-tomcat-connectors hosts both mod_jk and mod_webapp but mod_jk does not
> require APR.
> That is why I am looking for a new location for APR.

I would bundle a snapshot of the APR tree with the source tarball as we
always did... But at the same time, since I didn't participate to the
release, I can't say much...

    Pier

Re: Using APR in mod_webapp

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.

RE: Using APR in mod_webapp

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.
> From: jfclere@vtxrm2.bcn.fsc.net [mailto:jfclere@vtxrm2.bcn.fsc.net]On
> Behalf Of jean-frederic clere

> Hi,
>
> I have a question:
>
> mod_webapp from Tomcat uses APR:
>
> Where should APR be downloaded from? - It must be a tarball because that is for
> the ones that want to build mod_webapp on their own -
> Until now I was adding apr to a subdirectory of mod_webapp and releasing the
> corresponding tarball. (Normaly I am using an APR tagged for httpd-2.0).

Why are you moving away from that now?  Because of the bug fixes in APR
since the latest tag?  If so, why don't you get HEAD and use that?

> Using the snapshot of APR http://cvs.apache.org/snapshots/apr/ does not sound
> good for at least 2 reasons:
> - The sources of Tomcat are always what is used to build the binaries.
> - I am not sure that everyone is ready to mix a snapshot with a released
> product.

That second point will have to hold until we have an APR release.

> Cheers
>
> Jean-frederic

Sander