Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/08 20:32:18 UTC

Request for votes: STATUS cleanup on 1.1.x branch

With the upcomming 1.3 release, I have looked at the 1.1.x STATUS file
and was amazed by the number of items still left in the file.

The release of 1.3 may mean we'll be 'deprecating' 1.1.x.  To me it
looks really awkward to do that to a branch which has so many backport
items left.

Hereby I propose to do a final 1.1.5 release, in which we do all
backports we decide an, eliminating all other items from STATUS.  That
way, we can retire the branch cleanly.

bye,

Erik.

Re: Request for votes: STATUS cleanup on 1.1.x branch

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com> writes:
> With the upcomming 1.3 release, I have looked at the 1.1.x STATUS file
> and was amazed by the number of items still left in the file.
>
> The release of 1.3 may mean we'll be 'deprecating' 1.1.x.  To me it
> looks really awkward to do that to a branch which has so many backport
> items left.

Why? :-)

> Hereby I propose to do a final 1.1.5 release, in which we do all
> backports we decide an, eliminating all other items from STATUS.  That
> way, we can retire the branch cleanly.

If those items are also undone in later release lines, we should
certainly fold them into those lines.  And if the items *are* done in
later release lines, we can just ask people to upgrade to the newer
lines.

I doubt that anyone besides devs looks at the 1.1.x/STATUS file.  If
it's awkward, it's only awkward among the group of people who decided
to deprecate 1.1.x in the first place, IMHO.

-K