Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by mayank juneja <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/27 18:20:26 UTC

Problem in Running the Lucene web application demo

Hi

I am a new user to Lucene.

I tried running the Lucene web application demo provided with the source. I
am able to index the files but I get the following error when I try to
search a query from the browser.

HTTP Status 500 -
------------------------------

*type* Exception report

*message*

*description* *The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it
from fulfilling this request.*

*exception*

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP:

An error occurred at line: 10 in the generated java file
Only a type can be imported.
org.apache.lucene.analysis.standard.StandardAnalyzer resolves to a
package

An error occurred at line: 16 in the generated java file
Only a type can be imported. org.apache.lucene.demo.html.Entities
resolves to a package

An error occurred at line: 32 in the jsp file: /luceneweb/results.jsp
IndexSearcher cannot be resolved to a type
29: <%
30:         boolean error = false;                  //used to control
flow for error messages
31:         String indexName = indexLocation;       //local copy of
the configuration variable
32:         IndexSearcher searcher = null;          //the searcher
used to open/search the index
33:         Query query = null;                     //the Query
created by the QueryParser
34:         Hits hits = null;                       //the search results
35:         int startindex = 0;                     //the first index
displayed on this page

An error occurred at line: 33 in the jsp file: /luceneweb/results.jsp
Query cannot be resolved to a type
30:         boolean error = false;                  //used to control
flow for error messages
31:         String indexName = indexLocation;       //local copy of
the configuration variable
32:         IndexSearcher searcher = null;          //the searcher
used to open/search the index
33:         Query query = null;                     //the Query
created by the QueryParser
34:         Hits hits = null;                       //the search results
35:         int startindex = 0;                     //the first index
displayed on this page
36:         int maxpage    = 50;                    //the maximum
items displayed on this page

An error occurred at line: 34 in the jsp file: /luceneweb/results.jsp
Hits cannot be resolved to a type
31:         String indexName = indexLocation;       //local copy of
the configuration variable
32:         IndexSearcher searcher = null;          //the searcher
used to open/search the index
33:         Query query = null;                     //the Query
created by the QueryParser
34:         Hits hits = null;                       //the search results
35:         int startindex = 0;                     //the first index
displayed on this page
36:         int maxpage    = 50;                    //the maximum
items displayed on this page
37:         String queryString = null;              //the query
entered in the previous page

An error occurred at line: 45 in the jsp file: /luceneweb/results.jsp
IndexSearcher cannot be resolved to a type
42:                                                 //less
43:
44:         try {
45:           searcher = new IndexSearcher(indexName);      //create
an indexSearcher for our page
46:                                                         //NOTE:
this operation is slow for large
47:                                                         //indices
(much slower than the search itself)
48:                                                         //so you
might want to keep an IndexSearcher

An error occurred at line: 79 in the jsp file: /luceneweb/results.jsp
Analyzer cannot be resolved to a type
76:
   //query string so you get the
77:
   //treatment
78:
79:                 Analyzer analyzer = new StandardAnalyzer();
   //construct our usual analyzer
80:                 try {
81:                         QueryParser qp = new
QueryParser("contents", analyzer);
82:                         query = qp.parse(queryString); //parse the

An error occurred at line: 79 in the jsp file: /luceneweb/results.jsp
StandardAnalyzer cannot be resolved to a type
76:
   //query string so you get the
77:
   //treatment
78:
79:                 Analyzer analyzer = new StandardAnalyzer();
   //construct our usual analyzer
80:                 try {
81:                         QueryParser qp = new
QueryParser("contents", analyzer);
82:                         query = qp.parse(queryString); //parse the

An error occurred at line: 81 in the jsp file: /luceneweb/results.jsp
QueryParser cannot be resolved to a type
78:
79:                 Analyzer analyzer = new StandardAnalyzer();
   //construct our usual analyzer
80:                 try {
81:                         QueryParser qp = new
QueryParser("contents", analyzer);
82:                         query = qp.parse(queryString); //parse the
83:                 } catch (ParseException e) {
   //query and construct the Query
84:
   //object

An error occurred at line: 81 in the jsp file: /luceneweb/results.jsp
QueryParser cannot be resolved to a type
78:
79:                 Analyzer analyzer = new StandardAnalyzer();
   //construct our usual analyzer
80:                 try {
81:                         QueryParser qp = new
QueryParser("contents", analyzer);
82:                         query = qp.parse(queryString); //parse the
83:                 } catch (ParseException e) {
   //query and construct the Query
84:
   //object

An error occurred at line: 83 in the jsp file: /luceneweb/results.jsp
ParseException cannot be resolved to a type
80:                 try {
81:                         QueryParser qp = new
QueryParser("contents", analyzer);
82:                         query = qp.parse(queryString); //parse the
83:                 } catch (ParseException e) {
   //query and construct the Query
84:
   //object
85:
   //if it's just "operator error"
86:
   //send them a nice error HTML

An error occurred at line: 89 in the jsp file: /luceneweb/results.jsp
e cannot be resolved
86:
   //send them a nice error HTML
87:
88: %>
89:                         <p>Error while parsing query:
<%=escapeHTML(e.getMessage())%></p>
90: <%
91:                         error = true;
   //don't bother with the rest of
92:
   //the page

An error occurred at line: 127 in the jsp file: /luceneweb/results.jsp
Document cannot be resolved to a type
124: %>
125:                 <tr>
126: <%
127:                         Document doc = hits.doc(i);
     //get the next document
128:                         String doctitle = doc.get("title");
     //get its title
129:                         String url = doc.get("path");
     //get its path field
130:                         if (url != null &&
url.startsWith("../webapps/")) { // strip off ../webapps prefix if
present

Stacktrace:
	org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:92)
	org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher.java:330)
	org.apache.jasper.compiler.JDTCompiler.generateClass(JDTCompiler.java:439)
	org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:334)
	org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:312)
	org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:299)
	org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:586)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:317)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:342)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:267)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)

Can someone please help me to get through this error. Assistance will be
highly appreciated.

Thanks
Mayank Juneja

Re: Problem in Running the Lucene web application demo

Posted by KK <di...@gmail.com>.
no idea about the webapp demo app, but are you sure you have all the
required files like the jar in the right place?