Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Hoover Chan <hc...@mail.ewind.com> on 2006/11/12 11:20:55 UTC

large increase in spam after upgrading SA

I just upgraded SA from 3.1.0 to the current 3.1.7 via CPAN and am finding
that a huge increase in the amount of spam that's coming in. On the order
of almost 10 times the number that leaked into my inbox.

Has anyone else run into this behavior? If so, what can I do?
Configurations are unchanged as far as I can tell.

Thanks in advance.

Hoover Chan                hchan@mail.ewind.com  -or-  hchan@well.com
Eastwind Associates
P.O. Box 16646             voice: 415-731-6019  -or-  415-565-8936
San Francisco, CA 94116

Re: large increase in spam after upgrading SA

Posted by Anders Norrbring <li...@norrbring.se>.
Hoover Chan skrev:
> I just upgraded SA from 3.1.0 to the current 3.1.7 via CPAN and am
> finding that a huge increase in the amount of spam that's coming in. On
> the order of almost 10 times the number that leaked into my inbox.
>
> Has anyone else run into this behavior? If so, what can I do?
> Configurations are unchanged as far as I can tell.

I had the same "problem", and found out after a while that I had
installed SA from RPM initially, then updated via CPAN.

That resulted in TWO different versions of perl-SpamAssassin, one in
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl and the other in /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl.

The one that was read in didn't correspond to the rest of SA and its
version, and also didn't have valid rules in /var/lib/spamassassin.

If this is the case for you, delete the old perl module version from
your system.

Anders

RE: large increase in spam after upgrading SA

Posted by Tim Boyer <ti...@denmantire.com>.

> I just upgraded SA from 3.1.0 to the current 3.1.7 via CPAN and
> am finding
> that a huge increase in the amount of spam that's coming in. On the order
> of almost 10 times the number that leaked into my inbox.
>
> Has anyone else run into this behavior? If so, what can I do?
> Configurations are unchanged as far as I can tell.
>
> Thanks in advance.

I've run CPAN with the wrong umask, which resulted in the .cf files being
installed readable only by root.  So as root, it installed fine and tested
fine... but when it ran for real it only picked up my local.cf rules.

--
Tim Boyer
Director