Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> on 2004/11/01 03:58:04 UTC

use case framework proposal

andreas,

do you have some more info on

http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/UsecaseFrameworkProposal

my memory is brittle, and nagoya eyebrowse not helping.. did you ever
send an RT on this? it sounds interesting and i'd like to take a crack
at converting some xsp to jx & flow.

one thing that puzzles me at this time (i discovered some references to
changed signatures on some java invocations in xsp) is how flowscript
will improve on the current undesirable situation where eclipse does not
warn you about callers of a java method nor offer refactoring support.

ideally, eclipse would recognize the java methods in flowscript..

i still think its worth it to move from xsp to jx & flow, but exposing
all those calls into java classes to eclipse would be very helpful.

-gregor

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                          http://lenya.apache.org

Re: use case framework proposal

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> andreas,
>
> do you have some more info on
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/UsecaseFrameworkProposal
>
> my memory is brittle, and nagoya eyebrowse not helping.. did you ever
> send an RT on this? it sounds interesting and i'd like to take a crack
> at converting some xsp to jx & flow.

No, IIRC I never sent an RC. There is some code in my
local sandbox (I started to re-implement the admin usecases
using this approach).

> one thing that puzzles me at this time (i discovered some references to
> changed signatures on some java invocations in xsp) is how flowscript
> will improve on the current undesirable situation where eclipse does not
> warn you about callers of a java method nor offer refactoring support.

The basic principle of the to-be-proposed framework is that
there's only one generic flowscript and a Usecase interface.
They share a certain contract, which means that the flowscript
calls methods to setup and control the Usecase class.
The integrator only writes Usecase classes and JX templates.

More news when my work time decreases to 100% again :)

-- Andreas

Re: use case framework proposal

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> andreas,
>
> do you have some more info on
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/UsecaseFrameworkProposal
>
> my memory is brittle, and nagoya eyebrowse not helping.. did you ever send an
> RT on this? it sounds interesting and i'd like to take a crack at converting
> some xsp to jx & flow.
>
> one thing that puzzles me at this time (i discovered some references to
> changed signatures on some java invocations in xsp) is how flowscript will
> improve on the current undesirable situation where eclipse does not warn you
> about callers of a java method nor offer refactoring support.
>
> ideally, eclipse would recognize the java methods in flowscript..
>
> i still think its worth it to move from xsp to jx & flow, but exposing all
> those calls into java classes to eclipse would be very helpful.

It's true that IDEs don't really help here. My suggestion would be to
build support function in a base js file (look how CForm and Continuation
does) to minimize the users need to know how to call Lenya classes when he
build his own usecases.

Also the menu system is based on XSP and a supporting logicsheet would
really help writing menues as skimming the menu XSPs shows alot of
xsp:logic section that look the same in all those menu XSPs.

Also, the http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/UsecaseFrameworkProposal
describse briefly ;-) to use templating (JXTG). This approach should be
discussed for Publications as well. My oppinion is that templates get much
faster addopted to build a new site than XSLTs by the Lenya users. WDYTA

--
Giacomo Pati