Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by "Sergey Shakhnazarov (Akvelon)" <v-...@microsoft.com> on 2016/01/18 18:12:12 UTC

CB-9516 Android SplashScreen - Spinner Does Not Display

Hi guys,

What is the history of SplashScreen plugin spinnerDialog implementation on Android [1]?
Is there a specific reason it is cancellable (so that it can be dismissed on tap)?

I wanted to discuss the PR CB-9516 Android SplashScreen - Spinner Does Not Display #75 [2] - it fixes the bug and adds an option to display the spinner via the custom dialog without screen dim and on transparent background, which is consistent with ios implementation.

Do we need the old implementation at all, which shows the default ProgressDialog with title and message and dims the splashimage?
Are LoadingDialog [3] and LoadingPageDialog still used in the apps - would not they clash with the splashscreen plugin?

Screenshots: old way ProgressDialog with title and message [4], spinner-only variant [5].

[1]: https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-splashscreen/blob/7a12204ba9c49d8b23cf67634e2d69890944274a/src/android/SplashScreen.java#L338
[2]: https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-splashscreen/pull/75/files
[3]: https://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/latest/guide/platforms/android/config.html
[4]: https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/4272078/12397546/f4bf2a1c-be1e-11e5-8e45-91a794072d62.png
[5]: https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/4272078/12397547/f4c3f844-be1e-11e5-95c4-e9324523b481.png

Please let me know if you have any questions or considerations.

Best regards,
Sergey Shakhnazarov.