Posted to dev@kudu.apache.org by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com> on 2016/07/31 22:45:00 UTC

RFC: rename "remote bootstrap" to "tablet copy"?

Hi all,

Currently we use the term "remote bootstrap" to mean the process by which
one tablet server copies a tablet from another. This terminology started
long long ago, back when we thought there was some chance that it would
actually _start_ the tablet from remote storage, which isn't at all what
the current design does.

I think it would be more accurate and cause less confusion if we considered
changing our terminology here. The current terminology invites confusion
with "tablet bootstrap", the process by which a tablet opens its data,
replays its logs, and starts. A couple suggestions would be:

- Tablet copy (since we're copying a tablet from one host to another)
- Tablet snapshot transfer (a mouthful,but fairly accurate)
- Remote tablet copy (slightly more precise than "tablet copy" but also
longer)

What do people think? Changing this before we hit 1.0 would be nice just so
we have time to update docs, metric names, etc, even though it doesn't
affect any public APIs.

-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: RFC: rename "remote bootstrap" to "tablet copy"?

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
I put up a preliminary patch here which appears to compile:
https://gerrit.cloudera.org/#/c/3848

I did this with fully automated find/replace substitutions. I'm now
self-reviewing the patch to spot places that some manual editing is
required to make it read fluently with the new name.

-Todd

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Mike Percy <mp...@apache.org>.
+1 on the name change from remote bootstrap.

I like tablet copy. The pro side of using the "snapshot" terminology is
that the Raft paper uses that terminology for the same thing. The downside
is that we have snapshot scans also, so we've sort of already claimed that
term for a totally different concept.

Mike

Posted by Dan Burkert <da...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Adar Dembo <ad...@cloudera.com>.