Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Bishop <db...@micron.com> on 2002/06/25 00:57:47 UTC

Web-application not yet deployed

I'm getting 4.0 up and running (well, upgrading from 3.2) and after two days
straight of downloading various things and tweaking others, I think I'm
almost there.  It's the almost that's the kicker :-)

I have tomcat running fine, standalone, on port 8080.  I have apache running
fine on 80.  I am using j2se 1.4, on solaris 7.  Apache 1.3.26 (two birds
with one stone).  I have a self-compiled mod_webapp, though I had to manually
add -lgcc_s to that makefile to get that working.  My server.xml is based off
of the server-noexamples.xml.config, with very few modifications.  The
following is in my httpd.conf:
WebAppConnection webappConn      warp  pedh12.micron.com:8009
WebAppDeploy     examples  webappConn  /examples

The following is the only section that I have made changes to in the
server.xml:
  <Service name="Tomcat-Apache">
    <Connector className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector"
     enableLookups="true"
     acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>
    <Engine className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpEngine"
     name="Apache" defaultHost="pedh12.micron.com" debug="0"
appBase="webapps">
              prefix="apache_log." suffix=".txt"
              timestamp="true"/>
        <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true">
                <Context path="/examples"
                  docBase="webapps/examples"
                  crossContext="false"
                  debug="0"
                  reloadable="false" >
                </Context>
        </Host>
    </Engine>
  </Service>

That bit is the only part that is "black magic" to me.  I have *no* idea if
I'm supposed to be putting the host and context tags as children to the
Tomcat-Apache service tag.  Basically, I guessed and added things until it
started.  And, it works in standalone mode (i.e., pedh12:8080/examples
works).  However, when I try to goto pedh12/examples, well, examples returns
"no such directory, etc", while /examples/ returns the "Web-application not
yet deployed, 404" message.  Whew.  That took a while :-)  Any ideas?  This
is starting to get painful....

Thanks, and have a great day!

- --
D.A.Bishop

"Three people can take efficient care of a unix system as long as two of them
are dead"     - Unknown HP-UX mailing list member

Re: Web-application not yet deployed

Posted by David Bishop <db...@micron.com>.

Well, your example is almost identical to the except of my httpd.conf that I
sent with the first email :-)  However, thanks for the confirmation that I'm
going in the right direction there!  Now, after some more experimentation, it
looks like I can put whatever I want in the httpd.conf, without modifying the
server.xml at *all*, and I get the exact same error.  Hence, I'm starting to
suspect my server.xml (Heck, why not? I've started suspecting my sanity...)
Can someone send me their server.xml, using mod_webapp, (off-list if
necessary) such that I can see if mine is even close?  Many thanks to Eddie
and Keith for their help so far!

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.

Posted by David Bishop <db...@micron.com>.

On Wednesday 26 June 2002 09:01 am, Eddie Bush wrote:
> I am a novice, but I have used mod_webapp from the get-go.  You have  a
> more thorough server.xml file than do I.  I make use of the config in
> httpd.conf and then don't even specify hosts in the server.xml file.  I'm
> not quite sure this is the 'best approach' - but it seems to work fine.  I
> say that ... I can't seem to get it to redirect http to https and vice
> versa, but other than that it seems to do fine =)  My next thing to try is
> to actually put hosts in though - and see if I can redirect that way.  I'm
> running RedHat Linux 7.2/Apache 1.3.22/Tomcat 4.0.3.
>
> HTH,
>
> Eddie
>
> David Bishop wrote:
> >
> > Didn't help.  I should point out that I've used tomcat 3.2 for about a
> > year, so I'm *somewhat* familiar with how it works.  It's just the new
> > mod_webapp stuff (vs. mod-jk.conf) that's confusing me/not working
> > correctly.  Is there *nothing* that I should have to do, besides that
> > snippet from my server.xml, to "deploy" a web-app, so as to make it
> > available through mod_webapp?
> >
> > On Wednesday 26 June 2002 01:11 pm, Keith Pemberton wrote:
> > > Make sure that you first stop both the tomcat and the httpd servers.
> > > Then, first start the tomcat server and then start the httpd server.
> > > Hope this helps!

- --

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.

Posted by Rick Yoesting <ry...@mac.com>.
David,

Is there any chance it's just that you need to change to port number
from 8009 to 8008 in httpd.conf?

WebAppConnection webappConn      warp  pedh12.micron.com:8008

Good luck,

Rick

Posted by David Bishop <db...@micron.com>.

4.0.4.  If you could send source for 4.0.1 my way, I would be fairly eternally
grateful (with eternally==at least a week :-).

On Wednesday 26 June 2002 02:32 pm, Keith Pemberton wrote:
> Which version of mod_webapp are you running?  I have found now that can run
> tomcat4.0.4 but I have to use the 4.0.1 version of mod_webapp inorder for
> it to work.  If you need the source code for it I can send it to you.
>
> Keith

- --
D.A.Bishop

"Three people can take efficient care of a unix system as long as two of them
are dead"     - Unknown HP-UX mailing list member

RE: Web-application not yet deployed

Didn't help.  I should point out that I've used tomcat 3.2 for about a year,
so I'm *somewhat* familiar with how it works.  It's just the new mod_webapp
stuff (vs. mod-jk.conf) that's confusing me/not working correctly.  Is there
*nothing* that I should have to do, besides that snippet from my server.xml,
to "deploy" a web-app, so as to make it available through mod_webapp?

On Wednesday 26 June 2002 01:11 pm, Keith Pemberton wrote:
> Make sure that you first stop both the tomcat and the httpd servers.
Then,
> first start the tomcat server and then start the httpd server.  Hope this
> helps!

- --

Re: I don't understand

Posted by Rick Yoesting <ry...@mac.com>.
Assuming I understand your question, you should be able to use
an absolute path to anywhere in your file system.

For example, to make the directory for your virtual host be
/var/www/mywebapp you do something like this in the <Host> element
in server.xml:

<Host name="www.myhost.com" debug="0" appBase="/var/www"
	unpackWARs="true">
                 <Context path="/mywebapp"
                   docBase="/var/www/mywebapp"
                   crossContext="false"
                   debug="0"
                   reloadable="false" >
                 </Context>
</Host>

See http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/host.html for
more details.

Rick

I don't understand

Posted by Bui Huu Phuc <ph...@elcom.com.vn>.

Posted by Rick Yoesting <ry...@mac.com>.
David,

Posted by David Bishop <db...@micron.com>.

> Note the error here, it's saying it can't connect (to the Tomcat side
> of the connector).

But the screen *looked* like a tomcat response, so that was confusing me (how
could tomcat respond if it wasn't connected?).  I just (while typing this)
realized that it was undoubtably generated by mod_webapp, which *is*
"tomcat", though not gaurenteing that apache could talk to the tomcat server.
Doh!

> These lines tell Apache what to do with Tomcat requests, i.e. what
> should be forwarded to Tomcat and where to find Tomcat.  I notice
> you're telling it to find the Tomcat side of the connector at
> pedh12.micron.com:8009 -- is that really what you want?  Is Tomcat
> running on a different machine than apache?  Usually you have
> "localhost" as the host, which indicates (to Apache) that Tomcat is
> running on the same machine.  That's one thing to look at.  And if you
> really do have Tomcat running on that other machine, you need to check
> that it's up and running OK.

I changed it back to localhost, I think I did that just to be as explicit as
possible :-)

> (Oh, BTW, can you get me some memory cheap? :-)

No. (I can't get memory for *me* cheap...) :-P

> Here's something else to look at.  This tells Tomcat where to run its
> side of the connector.  You have the port set to 8008.  But above you
> listed 8009.  They must be the same.

This was the problem.  I set the first one to 8009, and forgot to change the
second one.  Now I have a different problem!   It seg11's with every request.
I guess I'm just lucky that way B)  The following comes from tomcat's
apache_log (i.e., not catalina.out).  Ideas?

2002-06-26 15:48:57 WarpHost[pedh12.micron.com]: Mapping request for Host
2002-06-26 15:48:57 [org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnection]
Exception on socket
java.io.IOException: Premature packet header end
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnection.recv(WarpConnection.java:237)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpRequestHandler.handle(WarpRequestHandler.java:112)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnection.run(WarpConnection.java:194)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

> Milt Epstein
> Research Programmer
> Systems and Technology Services (STS)
> Campus Information Technologies and Educational Services (CITES)
> University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC)
> mepstein@uiuc.edu

- --

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, David Bishop wrote:

> Didn't help.  I should point out that I've used tomcat 3.2 for about
> a year, so I'm *somewhat* familiar with how it works.  It's just the
> new mod_webapp stuff (vs. mod-jk.conf) that's confusing me/not
> working correctly.  Is there *nothing* that I should have to do,
> besides that snippet from my server.xml, to "deploy" a web-app, so
> as to make it available through mod_webapp?

[ ... ]

Posted by David Bishop <db...@micron.com>.

Didn't help.  I should point out that I've used tomcat 3.2 for about a year,
so I'm *somewhat* familiar with how it works.  It's just the new mod_webapp
stuff (vs. mod-jk.conf) that's confusing me/not working correctly.  Is there
*nothing* that I should have to do, besides that snippet from my server.xml,
to "deploy" a web-app, so as to make it available through mod_webapp?

On Wednesday 26 June 2002 01:11 pm, Keith Pemberton wrote:
> Make sure that you first stop both the tomcat and the httpd servers.  Then,
> first start the tomcat server and then start the httpd server.  Hope this
> helps!

- --

Posted by Keith Pemberton <ga...@charter.net>.
Make sure that you first stop both the tomcat and the httpd servers.  Then,
first start the tomcat server and then start the httpd server.  Hope this
helps!

On Tuesday 25 June 2002 10:13 am, David Bishop wrote:
> I am using 4.0.4.  I was going to try going back to 4.0.1, as per your
> suggestion, however it doesn't seem to be available from the web
> (http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/ just has
back
> to 4.0.3).  I *don't* get Segfaults in apache, though.  Here's a snippet
of
> it's log:
>
> Mon Jun 24 18:23:54 2002] [error] Re-Trying to deploy connections
> [Mon Jun 24 18:23:54 2002] [error] Connection "webappConn" cannot connect
> [Mon Jun 24 18:23:54 2002] [error] Cannot open connection "webappConn"
> [Mon Jun 24 18:23:54 2002] [error] Web-application not yet deployed
>
> I did get Sig11's for a little while, IIRC, it had to do with not linking
> to -lglibc_s.  Anything else I should try?
>
> On Monday 24 June 2002 10:04 pm, Keith Pemberton wrote:
> > What version of tomcat 4 are you using? 4.0.3 or 4.0.4?  I am another
> > person on this list have had problems with Apache 1.3.xx and tomcat4.0.3
> > producing the same error messages under RedHat.  The solution that we
> > came up with is to go back to the 4.0.1 series and that has worked just
> > fine for /examples/. The default page, though, for me some of the images
> > are garbled, which I don't know what is up with that.  Look at your
> > error_log page for apache "tail -f /path/to/apache/logs/error_log" and
> > see if you get a bunch of Segmentation Fault errors when you try to
> > access /examples/. Hope this helps!
> >
> > Keith

- --

Posted by David Bishop <db...@micron.com>.

Well, thanks to everybody's help and suggestions, I am up and running!
WOOHOO!!  Thanks :-)  (btw, the solution was using the binary connector
available through the archives.  I'm thinking that should be the default
response to "my mod_webapp isn't working/compiling" questions...)

Of, course, I am still having a problem ;-)  Now, when I'm trying to build a
basic "hello, world" example, that (again!) worked in 3.2 using jdk 1.1, ant
dies complaining about the following:

<snip>
compile:
    [javac] Compiling 1 source file to
/u/wwwpe/tomcat_pedh12/webapps/akyoshin/WEB-INF/classes
BUILD FAILED
java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: sun/tools/javac/Main (Unsupported
major.minor version 48.0)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Compiled Code)
        at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Compiled Code)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Compiled Code)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$1(Compiled Code)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Compiled Code)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Compiled Code)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Compiled Code)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.Class.forName0(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.Class.forName(Compiled Code)
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.compilers.Javac12.execute(Javac12.java:86)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.execute(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:202)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.start(Compiled Code)

My build.sh is basic, just setting JAVA_HOME, TOMCAT_HOME, and calling ant
(based entirely off the examples).  I can post my build.xml, if needed, but
again, it's just what was working in 3.2.  Ideas?  Thanks tons!

- --

Posted by Rick Yoesting <ry...@mac.com>.
David,

Looks to me like you need to make the port assignments be identical.
Try setting them both to 8008 like so:

className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector" port="8008"

WebAppConnection webappConn      warp  pedh12.micron.com:8008

Better yet, you might try using localhost connections for Warp:
server.xml
     <Engine className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpEngine"
      name="Apache" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0"
	appBase="webapps">

         <Host name="pedh12.micron.com" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
		unpackWARs="true">

httpd.conf
WebAppConnection webappConn      warp  localhost:8008

The above worked for me, but I eventually switched to mod_jk.

Good luck,

Rick

Posted by David Bishop <db...@micron.com>.

Any ideas on this?  Please help!

On Tuesday 25 June 2002 10:13 am, David Bishop wrote:
> I am using 4.0.4.  I was going to try going back to 4.0.1, as per your
> suggestion, however it doesn't seem to be available from the web
> (http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/ just has back
> to 4.0.3).  I *don't* get Segfaults in apache, though.  Here's a snippet of
> it's log:
>
> Mon Jun 24 18:23:54 2002] [error] Re-Trying to deploy connections
> [Mon Jun 24 18:23:54 2002] [error] Connection "webappConn" cannot connect
> [Mon Jun 24 18:23:54 2002] [error] Cannot open connection "webappConn"
> [Mon Jun 24 18:23:54 2002] [error] Web-application not yet deployed
>
> I did get Sig11's for a little while, IIRC, it had to do with not linking
> to -lglibc_s.  Anything else I should try?
>
> On Monday 24 June 2002 10:04 pm, Keith Pemberton wrote:
> > What version of tomcat 4 are you using? 4.0.3 or 4.0.4?  I am another
> > person on this list have had problems with Apache 1.3.xx and tomcat4.0.3
> > producing the same error messages under RedHat.  The solution that we
> > came up with is to go back to the 4.0.1 series and that has worked just
> > fine for /examples/. The default page, though, for me some of the images
> > are garbled, which I don't know what is up with that.  Look at your
> > error_log page for apache "tail -f /path/to/apache/logs/error_log" and
> > see if you get a bunch of Segmentation Fault errors when you try to
> > access /examples/. Hope this helps!
> >
> > Keith

- --

Posted by David Bishop <db...@micron.com>.

I am using 4.0.4.  I was going to try going back to 4.0.1, as per your
suggestion, however it doesn't seem to be available from the web
(http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/ just has back
to 4.0.3).  I *don't* get Segfaults in apache, though.  Here's a snippet of
it's log:

Mon Jun 24 18:23:54 2002] [error] Re-Trying to deploy connections
[Mon Jun 24 18:23:54 2002] [error] Connection "webappConn" cannot connect
[Mon Jun 24 18:23:54 2002] [error] Cannot open connection "webappConn"
[Mon Jun 24 18:23:54 2002] [error] Web-application not yet deployed

I did get Sig11's for a little while, IIRC, it had to do with not linking to
- -lglibc_s.  Anything else I should try?

On Monday 24 June 2002 10:04 pm, Keith Pemberton wrote:
> What version of tomcat 4 are you using? 4.0.3 or 4.0.4?  I am another
> person on this list have had problems with Apache 1.3.xx and tomcat4.0.3
> producing the same error messages under RedHat.  The solution that we came
> up with is to go back to the 4.0.1 series and that has worked just fine for
> /examples/. The default page, though, for me some of the images are
> garbled, which I don't know what is up with that.  Look at your error_log
> page for apache "tail -f /path/to/apache/logs/error_log" and see if you get
> a bunch of Segmentation Fault errors when you try to access /examples/.
> Hope this helps!
>
> Keith

- --