Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by Nicko Cadell <ni...@neoworks.com> on 2006/02/23 19:45:50 UTC

RE: a question about .Net 2.0 and log4net

Ken,

The http://logging.apache.org/log4net/release/framework-support.html
page lists the frameworks that we build log4net for. We build specific
versions for each framework to take advantage of new features that are
available in new frameworks. This page lists the minor differences
between the builds.

The log4net assemblies support binary backward compatibility. The .NET
1.0 build of log4net will run fine on the .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0
runtimes. There is no problem using the .NET 1.0 or .NET 1.1 builds of
log4net with the .NET 2.0 runtime.

There is a special build, the 'CLI 1.0 Compatible' build, which only
uses ECMA/ISO CLI 1.0 standard APIs. This build runs on all the runtimes
that support CLI 1.0, these include all the Microsoft runtimes (except
the Compact Framework) and the Mono runtimes.

The log4net source for the last release (1.2.0.8) builds using the .NET
2.0 compilers but generates warnings due to deprecated APIs and some
errors in the doc comments. The currently checked in source code builds
cleanly using the .NET 2.0 and Mono 2.0 compilers.

Cheers,
Nicko