Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org> on 2018/04/23 13:25:30 UTC

Migrating Ivy and IvyDE site to asciidoc

Hi,

I would like to go forward and migrate the part of the site about Ivy and IvyDE to asciidoc, since it has gone well for the documentation about Ivy and IvyDE.

So first, is OK for everybody ?
Reminding of the pros: way faster, more standard source of doc. For the cons: not 'html-hackable’ easily, see below about the home page.

For a first base of the discussion, I have give it a shot. I have reused the xooki2asciidoc tool developed for Ivy's documentation. And I have done a first run, committed the result of the asciidoc files. I think that since the amount of the pages is reasonable, the quality is fine enough and can fix the page manually from there.

You can see the generated site from the asciidoc files with: ant -f build-doc.xml generate-site
The new site is generated in a ‘production2’ folder, so we do not mess with the real site. It is only for testing purpose for now.

There are some cleanup to do, I haven't fix any page manually. If somebody want to start, he is welcome to do so.

One page I am worried about is the main page [2]. I am not sure there are some sane asciidoc directives to render something similar. If you already have ideas, please share. If I remember correctly there is directive to blindly render content, which could be html, as a fall back.

Then, if we’re OK with the change, and if we find something suitable to generate the Home page, we prepare a new version of the site, pushing somewhere so we can review it online. Once happy with the result, we switch. And then we apply the same process with the site for IvyDE. Sounds good ?

Nicolas

[1] http://ant.apache.org/ivy/index.html <http://ant.apache.org/ivy/index.html>

Re: Migrating Ivy and IvyDE site to asciidoc

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
On 7 May 2018 at 06:17, Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org> wrote:

> The issue isn’t about the format of the image but about the layout of the
> page. If you have some proof of concept of how a home page can be done in
> asciidoc, please share, in a gist of whatever.

I used asciidoc with maven-site-plugin in log4j:

https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/blob/master/src/site/asciidoc/index.adoc

https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/blob/master/src/site/site.vm

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Migrating Ivy and IvyDE site to asciidoc

Posted by Gintautas Grigelionis <g....@gmail.com>.

> The issue isn’t about the format of the image but about the layout of the
> page. If you have some proof of concept of how a home page can be done in
> asciidoc, please share, in a gist of whatever.

Which part of the front page is tricky? I guess it would be easiest to keep
the four links/icons in the table as they are now; otherwise one could try
something like a float
group -- only to come to conclusion that images must be cropped
appropriately to align them properly -- at which point one may start
thinking of SVG :-) not to mention a custom CSS.

Gintas

[.float-group]
--
:figure-caption!:
.https://ant.apache.org/ivy/download.html[download]

.https://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/index.html[documentation
+++<br>+++ & tutorials]
image::https://ant.apache.org/ivy/images/ivy-book.png[float=left,link=https://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/index.html]

.https://ant.apache.org/ivy/demo.html[demo]
image::https://ant.apache.org/ivy/images/ivy-demo.png[float=left,link=https://ant.apache.org/ivy/demo.html]

Re: Migrating Ivy and IvyDE site to asciidoc

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.

Posted by Gintautas Grigelionis <g....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
I haven't looked at that xooki thing, that might work better for all I
know. Interesting :)

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Migrating Ivy and IvyDE site to asciidoc

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>