Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> on 2012/03/24 20:29:42 UTC

Re: OpenOffice.org to Apache OpenOffice mirror system migration

On Sat, 2012-03-24 at 12:38 +0200, Rimas Kudelis wrote:
> Hi Drew,

Hi Rimas,

Only way for me to help with answers is to forward this along, to
include with us,  all the folks on the AOO project, so adding the ml to
CC.

> I have a few questions/comments for you:
> 1) will the legacy files be distributed to Apache mirrors, or will you
> only distribute new releases and other files through them? In
> particular, I'm not just wondering about English releases, but also
> about tested and untested localized OOo builds, ISO images
> (.../extended/iso/), dictionaries (.../contrib/dictionaries/) etc (in
> fact, I'm mostly interested about what I listed here, since these are
> the files I've had on my mirror). If most of these files will not end up
> in the new mirror system, I guess it makes sense to keep our mirrors
> around for another year or so.

Right - so I'm looking over the files you've got at
ftp://ftp.akl.lt/OpenOffice.org/extended/iso/en/
and
ftp://ftp.akl.lt/OpenOffice.org/contrib/dictionaries/
for instance.

I do not know of any answer, beyond the generic - well first someone
needs to build, or at least offer to build, these things before really
worrying about the distribution. I suppose a growing list of
dictionaries can be assumed, but if I look at the Apache OpenOffice web
pages (as opposed to the old OO.o) it seems one would say to you... Hey
good news, you can save space cause there is only 13 languages now ..as
I say that can only go up.

iso images - I don't think there has been any real discussion yet, in
any serious way.

> 2) What will happen once Apache makes its first AOO release? Will the
> links to non-apache releases (at
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html) be kept or removed? Also,
> just out of curiosity, what platforms and languages will AOO provide
> official binaries for?

Maintaining a list of Links to external sites is a big jump down in
scale, as far as actual work needed IMO, and I start with the assumption
that someone (of course someone has to show up, always) will put effort
into keeping them up to date. As far as contacting every site listed,
chatting with them about Aoo name change (looking just now OO.o is gone
from a few already..some of the linked sites are also gone :-.) any way
by know you have realized that again only honest answer I could give for
now is..don't know for sure, hope they will be maintained.

> 3) it seems that the university where our mirror is located already has
> an Apache mirror (http://apache.mirror.vu.lt/apache/). I guess it
> doesn't make much sense for me to create another one. On the other hand,
> does Apache support partial mirrors? If so, I would probably choose to
> keep mirroring Apache OpenOffice. However, your "How to become a mirror"
> page says you require the mirror to use Apache HTTPD. Our mirror uses
> Cherokee (because its directory listing is prettier and I think because
> it's also less RAM-hungry), would that be a problem?
> 4) If I click on "More OpenOffice.org News..." link on openoffice.org
> home page, it takes me to http://ooo-site.apache.org/news/. It looks
> like ooo-site.apache.org is the default vhost name of the website. Not
> sure that's intended, cause it would at least look much better if it
> were the other way.

Including the infra ml in CC for the last couple :)

@Ramis, thanks for getting in touch so quickly,

//drew

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Sat, 2012-03-24 at 23:33 +0200, Rimas Kudelis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2012.03.24 21:29, drew rašė:
> > On Sat, 2012-03-24 at 12:38 +0200, Rimas Kudelis wrote:
> >> I have a few questions/comments for you:
> >> 1) will the legacy files be distributed to Apache mirrors, or will you
> >> only distribute new releases and other files through them? In
> >> particular, I'm not just wondering about English releases, but also
> >> about tested and untested localized OOo builds, ISO images
> >> (.../extended/iso/), dictionaries (.../contrib/dictionaries/) etc (in
> >> fact, I'm mostly interested about what I listed here, since these are
> >> the files I've had on my mirror). If most of these files will not end up
> >> in the new mirror system, I guess it makes sense to keep our mirrors
> >> around for another year or so.
> > Right - so I'm looking over the files you've got at
> > ftp://ftp.akl.lt/OpenOffice.org/extended/iso/en/
> > and
> > ftp://ftp.akl.lt/OpenOffice.org/contrib/dictionaries/
> > for instance.
> >
> > I do not know of any answer, beyond the generic - well first someone
> > needs to build, or at least offer to build, these things before really
> > worrying about the distribution. I suppose a growing list of
> > dictionaries can be assumed, but if I look at the Apache OpenOffice web
> > pages (as opposed to the old OO.o) it seems one would say to you... Hey
> > good news, you can save space cause there is only 13 languages now ..as
> > I say that can only go up.
> >
> > iso images - I don't think there has been any real discussion yet, in
> > any serious way.
>
> Hm, I was specifically asking about the legacy files. No building is
> needed here, just a plain copy. BTW

OK

> However, as you can see from the dates, at least the dictionaries are
> really old. They are probably even outdated in their form (I think the
> newer versions of OO support .oxt format for dictionary packages,
> right?). Perhaps starting from scratch (in terms of what's mirrored) is
> the best approach here, but I just want a clear statement.
>
> By the way, where can I see the list of languages that AOOO will
> support, and why are there only 13? IIRC, in the Sun days, the
> localizers had to sign the JCAs too, so it's not the licensing issue, is it?

Right - honestly I can't say how many languages one should expect, not
sure anyone real can say with too much certainty, for the 3.4 release
that was simply my low ball floor value. Looking at the status bars on
the transfered (or still transferring is maybe more accurate) pootle
server even today you see it will be larger - but how many....maybe we
short start a betting pool :-/

<snip>

> >> 3) it seems that the university where our mirror is located already has
> >> an Apache mirror (http://apache.mirror.vu.lt/apache/). I guess it
> >> doesn't make much sense for me to create another one. On the other hand,
> >> does Apache support partial mirrors? If so, I would probably choose to
> >> keep mirroring Apache OpenOffice. However, your "How to become a mirror"
> >> page says you require the mirror to use Apache HTTPD. Our mirror uses
> >> Cherokee (because its directory listing is prettier and I think because
> >> it's also less RAM-hungry), would that be a problem?

A second operators has asked the same  specific question, same reason
(different package) as yours.
Just my opinion - I hope there can be flexibility there.

//drew

Posted by Rimas Kudelis <rq...@akl.lt>.
Hi,

2012.03.24 21:29, drew rašė:
> [...]

>> 2) What will happen once Apache makes its first AOO release? Will the
>> links to non-apache releases (at
>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html) be kept or removed? Also,
>> just out of curiosity, what platforms and languages will AOO provide
>> official binaries for?
> Maintaining a list of Links to external sites is a big jump down in
> scale, as far as actual work needed IMO, and I start with the assumption
> that someone (of course someone has to show up, always) will put effort
> into keeping them up to date. As far as contacting every site listed,
> chatting with them about Aoo name change (looking just now OO.o is gone
> from a few already..some of the linked sites are also gone :-.) any way
> by know you have realized that again only honest answer I could give for
> now is..don't know for sure, hope they will be maintained.

I wasn't thinking about links to external sites. What I'm wondering is
whether or not Apache plans to copy legacy releases to the "new" mirror
system.