Posted to dev@excalibur.apache.org by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com> on 2005/08/16 01:42:27 UTC

Phoenix. (Re: RC2 Builds)

Where is Phoenix now?  Does it exist in a repository that can be
modified at this point?
I started using James recently and wanted to get Instrumentation into
Phoenix.  I had
thought that it was frozen though.

Cheers,
Leif

Re: Phoenix. (Re: RC2 Builds)

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
> >Never tried to use loom, what is the missing jar?
>
> Here is the error that gets thrown when Loom attempts to load
> the james app:
>
> wrapper  | --> Wrapper Started as Console wrapper  |
> Launching a JVM...
> jvm 1    | Wrapper (Version 3.1.2) http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org
> jvm 1    |
> jvm 1    | Loom Engine 1.0-rc3
> jvm 1    |
> jvm 1    | org.codehaus.loom.interfaces.LoomException:
> Component named
> "mailstore" failed to pass through the Starting stage. (Reason:
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> org/apache/avalon/excalibur/io/ExtensionFileFilter).

I removed excalibur-io usage in the latest svn.
Can you try it and tell me if it runs under loom?
If it works, can you also tell me if you make any change to james to run it
under loom?

If needed I can send you an url where to download a snapshot binary build
done yesterday.

Stefano

Re: Phoenix. (Re: RC2 Builds)

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.
Stefano Bagnara wrote:

>>Leo,
>>    Thanks. I'll take a look at these.  I tried getting the
>>latest version of Loom.  But it didn't work when I tried to
>>load James.  Missing jar.  I will play with it a bit more, I
>>imagine it is a jar version problem.  The instrumentation
>>code in Loom is pretty old.  It is using the old API before I
>>restructured it last year.
>>
>>    Do you know what James is planning to do in the future?
>>Being built on top of a frozen code base doesn't seem optimal
>>in the long term
>>

>Never tried to use loom, what is the missing jar?
>
>I've just committed to james an upgrade to the latest avalon-framework,
>cornerstone and excalibur libs.
>I also rebuilt/updated the bundled phoenix to use the latest
>avalon-framework libs.
>It seems to work fine.
>
>We probably release a 2.3.0 or 3.0 still built over avalon. We will probably
>move to OSGi or a different container later.

Here is the error that gets thrown when Loom attempts to load the james app:

wrapper  | --> Wrapper Started as Console
wrapper  | Launching a JVM...
jvm 1    | Wrapper (Version 3.1.2) http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org
jvm 1    |
jvm 1    |
jvm 1    | Loom Engine 1.0-rc3
jvm 1    |
jvm 1    | org.codehaus.loom.interfaces.LoomException: Component named
"mailstore" failed to pass through the Starting stage. (Reason:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/avalon/excalibur/io/ExtensionFileFilter).
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.loom.components.util.lifecycle.LifecycleHelper.fail(LifecycleHelper.java:396)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.loom.components.util.lifecycle.LifecycleHelper.startup(LifecycleHelper.java:267)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.loom.components.application.DefaultApplication.startup(DefaultApplication.java:490)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.loom.components.application.DefaultApplication.doRunPhase(DefaultApplication.java:435)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.loom.components.application.DefaultApplication.runPhase(DefaultApplication.java:363)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.loom.components.application.DefaultApplication.initialize(DefaultApplication.java:188)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.dna.impl.ContainerUtil.initialize(ContainerUtil.java:119)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.loom.components.kernel.DefaultKernel.startup(DefaultKernel.java:322)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.loom.components.kernel.DefaultKernel.addApplication(DefaultKernel.java:419)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.loom.components.deployer.DefaultDeployer.deploy(DefaultDeployer.java:409)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.loom.components.monitor.DefaultDeploymentMonitor.deployApplication(DefaultDeploymentMonitor.java:269)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.loom.components.monitor.DefaultDeploymentMonitor.deployFiles(DefaultDeploymentMonitor.java:393)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.loom.components.monitor.DefaultDeploymentMonitor.deployDefaultApplications(DefaultDeploymentMonitor.java:376)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.loom.components.monitor.DefaultDeploymentMonitor.initialize(DefaultDeploymentMonitor.java:183)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.dna.impl.ContainerUtil.initialize(ContainerUtil.java:119)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.loom.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.setupComponent(DefaultEmbeddor.java:501)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.loom.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.setupComponents(DefaultEmbeddor.java:480)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.loom.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.initialize(DefaultEmbeddor.java:219)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.dna.impl.ContainerUtil.initialize(ContainerUtil.java:119)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.loom.frontends.CLIMain.startup(CLIMain.java:291)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.loom.frontends.CLIMain.execute(CLIMain.java:225)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.loom.frontends.CLIMain.main(CLIMain.java:207)
jvm 1    |      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
Method)
jvm 1    |      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown
Source)
jvm 1    |      at
sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
jvm 1    |      at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
jvm 1    |      at org.codehaus.loom.launcher.Main.startup(Main.java:185)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.loom.launcher.DaemonLauncher.start(DaemonLauncher.java:144)
jvm 1    |      at
org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperManager.startInner(WrapperManager.java:1785)
jvm 1    |      at
org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperManager.handleSocket(WrapperManager.java:2384)
jvm 1    |      at
org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperManager.run(WrapperManager.java:2696)
jvm 1    |      at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
jvm 1    | Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/avalon/excalibur/io/ExtensionFileFilter
jvm 1    |      at
org.apache.james.mailrepository.filepair.AbstractFileRepository.initialize(AbstractFileRepository.java:102)
jvm 1    |      at
org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.blocks.masterstore.RepositoryManager.select(RepositoryManager.java:191)
jvm 1    |      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
Method)
jvm 1    |      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown
Source)
jvm 1    |      at
sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
jvm 1    |      at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.loom.components.application.BlockInvocationHandler.invoke(BlockInvocationHandler.java:171)
jvm 1    |      at $Proxy1.select(Unknown Source)
jvm 1    |      at
org.apache.james.mailrepository.AvalonMailRepository.initialize(AvalonMailRepository.java:125)
jvm 1    |      at
org.apache.james.core.AvalonMailStore.select(AvalonMailStore.java:300)
jvm 1    |      at
org.apache.james.core.AvalonMailStore.initialize(AvalonMailStore.java:129)
jvm 1    |      at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.initialize(ContainerUtil.java:283)
jvm 1    |      at
org.codehaus.loom.components.util.lifecycle.LifecycleHelper.startup(LifecycleHelper.java:239)
jvm 1    |      ... 30 more

Re: Phoenix. (Re: RC2 Builds)

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Re: Phoenix. (Re: RC2 Builds)

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.
Leo,
    Thanks. I'll take a look at these.  I tried getting the latest
version of Loom.  But it didn't
work when I tried to load James.  Missing jar.  I will play with it a
bit more, I imagine it
is a jar version problem.  The instrumentation code in Loom is pretty
old.  It is using the
old API before I restructured it last year.

    Do you know what James is planning to do in the future?  Being built
on top of a
frozen code base doesn't seem optimal in the long term

    Thanks for pointing me to these repositories.

    Cheers,
    Leif

Re: Phoenix. (Re: RC2 Builds)

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.

Re: Phoenix. (Re: RC2 Builds)

Posted by peter royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Aug 15, 2005, at 7:42 PM, Leif Mortenson wrote:
> Where is Phoenix now?  Does it exist in a repository that can be
> modified at this point?
> I started using James recently and wanted to get Instrumentation
> into Phoenix.  I had
> thought that it was frozen though.

The latest (never released) Phoenix has Instrumentation support. I
can send a snapshot of the old CVS if needed. (I'm using it and it
rocks!)
-pete

--
peter royal