Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by M Kili <m0...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/13 10:29:09 UTC

Can't find a temporary directory error

Hi,

svn + apache setup suddenly stopped working. I checked in some files,
then I wanted to check in some others, but that failed with message
that one of the files was out of date. So I ran svn update, this
failed with this message:

svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/webapp/!svn/vcc/default'
svn: Can't find a temporary directory: Error string not specified yet

Since then, every svn command contacting the server fails with the
above message. I'm still able to access the repositories using
filesystem URL.

Searching on the message gave me these possible solutions:

1. Check if there is enough space on /tmp partition
   - there is
2. Check if /tmp and /var/tmp are writable by apache process
# ls -ld /tmp /var/tmp/
drwxrwxrwt  20 root root 8192 Mar 13 11:15 /tmp
drwxrwxrwt   3 root root 1024 Mar 13 04:03 /var/tmp/
3. Upgrade apr to at least 0.9.7-something
# rpm -qa |grep apr
libapr-util1-devel-1.2.8-3.1
libapr0-2.0.49-27.24.3.swsoft
libapr1-1.2.8-3.1
libapr1-devel-1.2.8-3.1
libapr-util1-1.2.8-3.1

So this did not help.

Server logs:
 [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] The state report gatherer could not be
created.  [500, #20014]
 [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] Can't find a temporary directory: Error
string not specified yet  [500, #20014]

Increasing apache's LogLevel did not increase verbosity. Is there any
svn specific setting? It would be really useful if svn was more
verbose.

Any suggestions on this matter?

Thanks, Marek

Re: Can't find a temporary directory error

Posted by Ashutosh Mohanty <as...@syncad.com>.
Hi,

What is the version of SVN client you are using? Is this compatible; I mean
to say ,same as your server? If not Please update!!

Regards,
Ashutosh

Posted by michelangelot <mi...@email.it>.
Fixed, the server computer had run out of space!

Posted by Kryten <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by M Kili <m0...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Flavio Stanchina <fl...@stanchina.net>.

Posted by M Kili <m0...@gmail.com>.
This is the list:
stat64("/wwwroot/htdocs/svn/app", 0xbfffe7dc) = -1
stat64("/wwwroot/htdocs/svn/app/!svn/vcc/default", 0xbfffe7dc) = -1
stat64("/wwwroot/htdocs/svn/app/!svn/bln/199", 0xbfffe7dc) = -1
stat64("/wwwroot/htdocs/svn/app/!svn/vcc/default", 0xbfffe7dc) = -1

first one is there more than once.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
Let's keep the discussion on the mailing list please.

On Mar 14, 2007, at 03:23, M Kili wrote:

> On 3/14/07, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Mar 14, 2007, at 02:23, M Kili wrote:
>>
>> > strace reveals svn tries to open files in /wwwroot/htdocs/svn/app,
>> > ignoring SVNPath. It still finds db directory correctly in
>> > /svnroot/app/db/current
>>
>> Does it show what files svn attempts to open in /wwwroot/htdocs/svn/
>> app? Does that directory exist? If so, do those files exist?
>
> This is the list:
> stat64("/wwwroot/htdocs/svn/app", 0xbfffe7dc) = -1
> stat64("/wwwroot/htdocs/svn/app/!svn/vcc/default", 0xbfffe7dc) = -1
> stat64("/wwwroot/htdocs/svn/app/!svn/bln/199", 0xbfffe7dc) = -1
> stat64("/wwwroot/htdocs/svn/app/!svn/vcc/default", 0xbfffe7dc) = -1
>
> first one is there more than once.

That "!svn/..." stuff is the URLs Subversion uses internally... It
seems odd to me that it would try to find such files on the hard
drive, anywhere, since there aren't any such files. Then again, I
haven't looked at the Subversion source code (and couldn't understand
it if I did) so I don't know what it's doing or what it's supposed to
be doing. Maybe someone else will know and reply.

Re: Can't find a temporary directory error

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.