Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ramprasad <ra...@netcore.co.in> on 2006/07/13 17:06:18 UTC

Network tests slowing down spamassassin

Hi,
  SA works fine , for the quiet large setup that we have. ( we get upto
200k mails an hour at peak times )
  But I notice it is too network dependent. A little problem with the
network and all hell breaks loose. Mailq shoots up and SA starts timing
out.
 Probably because I have enabled all kinds of BL tests and uri checks.
But these checks are indispensable without these SA would have no teeth
at all.

  So what is the best way to reduce network traffic. We are already
getting the sbl-xbl lists from spamhaus so as to serve those lists
locally , can I get any other lists locally ?  Commercial agreements
also are ok.

Thanks
Ram

Re: Network tests slowing down spamassassin

Posted by Rick Macdougall <ri...@ummm-beer.com>.
Ramprasad wrote:
> Hi,
>   SA works fine , for the quiet large setup that we have. ( we get upto
> 200k mails an hour at peak times )
>   But I notice it is too network dependent. A little problem with the
> network and all hell breaks loose. Mailq shoots up and SA starts timing
> out.
>  Probably because I have enabled all kinds of BL tests and uri checks.
> But these checks are indispensable without these SA would have no teeth
> at all.
>
>   So what is the best way to reduce network traffic. We are already
> getting the sbl-xbl lists from spamhaus so as to serve those lists
> locally , can I get any other lists locally ?  Commercial agreements
> also are ok.

We have a similar setup and we don't have any problems.  We do run a
local DNS cache server on each SA server though (read, not Bind).  Are
you running a cache server on each SA server ?

We get about 1 million cached request hits an hour and 32K external
requests in the same time frame.

Regards,

Rick

Re: Network tests slowing down spamassassin

Posted by Ramprasad <ra...@netcore.co.in>.
On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 11:17 -0400, Craig Morrison wrote:
> Ramprasad wrote:
> > Hi,
> >   SA works fine , for the quiet large setup that we have. ( we get upto
> > 200k mails an hour at peak times )
> >   But I notice it is too network dependent. A little problem with the
> > network and all hell breaks loose. Mailq shoots up and SA starts timing
> > out.
> >  Probably because I have enabled all kinds of BL tests and uri checks.
> > But these checks are indispensable without these SA would have no teeth
> > at all.
> >
> >   So what is the best way to reduce network traffic. We are already
> > getting the sbl-xbl lists from spamhaus so as to serve those lists
> > locally , can I get any other lists locally ?  Commercial agreements
> > also are ok.
> >

> Are you running a local caching nameserver?

Yes of course. Sorry not to have mentioned that.
We use djbdns dnscache on some servers and bind on the others.
But caching does not solve all problems

Thanks
Ram

AW: AW: Network tests slowing down spamassassin

Posted by Stefan Klewer <Ur...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

first you have to create an account on the sorbs site, after that you are
able to open a ticket regarding to rsync subscription.

A short summary why you want to use the rsync feed from sorbs (millione
mails per day --> performance etc.) Ip addresses, which initiate the rsync
and the sorbs admins are going to allow you the rsync.

I hope i can help you ??

Stefan

Posted by Ramprasad <ra...@netcore.co.in>.

Posted by Stefan Klewer <Ur...@gmx.de>.

Ramprasad wrote:
> Hi,
>   SA works fine , for the quiet large setup that we have. ( we get upto
> 200k mails an hour at peak times )
>   But I notice it is too network dependent. A little problem with the
> network and all hell breaks loose. Mailq shoots up and SA starts timing
> out.
>  Probably because I have enabled all kinds of BL tests and uri checks.
> But these checks are indispensable without these SA would have no teeth
> at all.
>
>   So what is the best way to reduce network traffic. We are already
> getting the sbl-xbl lists from spamhaus so as to serve those lists
> locally , can I get any other lists locally ?  Commercial agreements
> also are ok.

Hi,
i think the best way to reduce the network traffic regarding to the network
test is to do all network test locally.
we are serving many list locally. For example spamhaus (commercial
agreement),spamcop (one time fee), njabl, sorbs , cbl.abuseat, dsbl (all
free).  We are using a rbldnsd to serve all local lists.
You have to create your own DNS zone and adapt your SA config. You will get
faster response and the processing time decrease of each message, which is
processed by the SA.

Sorry for my bad english.

Stefan

Re: Network tests slowing down spamassassin

Posted by Craig Morrison <cr...@2cah.com>.
Ramprasad wrote:
> Hi,
>   SA works fine , for the quiet large setup that we have. ( we get upto
> 200k mails an hour at peak times )
>   But I notice it is too network dependent. A little problem with the
> network and all hell breaks loose. Mailq shoots up and SA starts timing
> out.
>  Probably because I have enabled all kinds of BL tests and uri checks.
> But these checks are indispensable without these SA would have no teeth
> at all.
>
>   So what is the best way to reduce network traffic. We are already
> getting the sbl-xbl lists from spamhaus so as to serve those lists
> locally , can I get any other lists locally ?  Commercial agreements
> also are ok.

Are you running a local caching nameserver?

For my group that seems to help a great deal.

--
Craig

Re: Network tests slowing down spamassassin

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
On 7/13/2006 11:06 AM, Ramprasad wrote:

>   So what is the best way to reduce network traffic. We are already
> getting the sbl-xbl lists from spamhaus so as to serve those lists
> locally , can I get any other lists locally ?  Commercial agreements
> also are ok.

Many/most lists will provide rsync access to sites where it is efficient
to do so.  For most lists, they'll provide access to anyone who
processes over 100,000 messages a day.

Visit the websites of the lists in question for details and contact
info.  Some of the lists have rsync access application forms to fill out
and send in available on their sites.

Daryl