Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Béres Gábor <be...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/14 15:43:36 UTC

[commons-filupload]UTF-8 problem

Hi!

I'm using hungarian characters (eg: éáűúőó) on my multipart form, encoded in
UTF-8. My problem is that commons-filupload is unable to recognize these
characters. I think it encodes mulitpart data in ISO-8859-1.
When i call fileitem.getString(), i get buggy string.

Is there any solution?

Thanks for any help.

Re: [commons-filupload]UTF-8 problem

Posted by Béres Gábor <be...@gmail.com>.
It is IE6. I have  <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html;
charset=UTF-8"> tag in my jsp pages.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
Are you telling the browser that it has / should send UTF-8? That is, do you
have this on your page?

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Béres Gábor <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
OK I don't use different encodings, but my understanding is that
browsers haven't implemented the HTTP spec properly in this area and
are inconsistent. I believe that one common solution to this problem
is to use a servlet filter to set the character encoding for the
request. For an example see:

http://javawebparts.sourceforge.net/
http://javawebparts.sourceforge.net/javadocs/javawebparts/filter/CharacterEncodingFilter.html

From memory this may also have also been an issue in FileUpload that
was solved in the latest release (i.e. 1.1) so you may need to use
FileUpload 1.1 with such a filter.

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/downloads/downloads_commons-fileupload.cgi

Hopefully if I've got this wrong, someone with more knowledge will
jump in and correct me.

Niall

Posted by Béres Gábor <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.