Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Jeremy Ford <ca...@hotmail.com> on 2004/02/13 18:04:21 UTC

[PROPOSAL] [J1] Search Service Enhancements

I would like to propose the following changes to the Search Service and
related classes.

1)  Add the update methods to the Search interface
  Benefit -- allows updating the index

2)  Replace the setFields/getFields and setKeywords/getKeywords Map/String[]
methods in ParsedObject with the commons collections MultiMap
  Benefit -- allows multiple field values with the same key
  Negative -- changes existing API

  An alternative would be to add new methods that take the MultiMap and
depracate the others.

3)  Finish adding support for the fields/keywords in the LuceneSearchService
impl
  Benefit -- allows the search query the option to search other fields via
the Lucene native query syntax

4)  Add get/setClassName to the ParsedObject interface.  This would be
populated with the className of the object that was parsed.

5)  Add the method Set getFields() to the ObjectHandler. This would return
the set of fields that the handler used to create the parsed object.

6)  Change the LuceneSearchService impl to the following:
  For each hit:
    get the document
    from the document, get the classname (comes from item 4)
    get the handler for the given classname
    ask for the set of fields (comes from item 5)
    using this set, get the fields from the document and populate the
parsedObject

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Jeremy Ford
jford@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] [J1] Search Service Enhancements

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
+1 on all changes below

On Friday, February 13, 2004, at 09:04  AM, Jeremy Ford wrote:

> I would like to propose the following changes to the Search Service
> and related classes.
>
> 1)  Add the update methods to the Search interface
>  Benefit -- allows updating the index
>
> 2)  Replace the setFields/getFields and setKeywords/getKeywords
> Map/String[] methods in ParsedObject with the commons collections
> MultiMap
>  Benefit -- allows multiple field values with the same key
>  Negative -- changes existing API
>
>  An alternative would be to add new methods that take the MultiMap and
> depracate the others.
>
> 3)  Finish adding support for the fields/keywords in the
> LuceneSearchService impl
>  Benefit -- allows the search query the option to search other fields
> via the Lucene native query syntax
>
> 4)  Add get/setClassName to the ParsedObject interface.  This would be
> populated with the className of the object that was parsed.
>
> 5)  Add the method Set getFields() to the ObjectHandler. This would
> return the set of fields that the handler used to create the parsed
> object.
>
> 6)  Change the LuceneSearchService impl to the following:
>  For each hit:
>    get the document
>    from the document, get the classname (comes from item 4)
>    get the handler for the given classname
>    ask for the set of fields (comes from item 5)
>    using this set, get the fields from the document and populate the
> parsedObject
>
> Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.
>
> Jeremy Ford
> jford@apache.org

David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software
david@bluesunrise.com
[office]   +01 707 773-4646
[mobile] +01 707 529 9194

RE: [PROPOSAL] [J1] Search Service Enhancements

Posted by Mark Orciuch <ma...@ngsltd.com>.
I'm +1 on this proposal.

In regards to API change, since we have a production release of J1, we
should probably go thru deprecation process when changing APIs. However, if
we don't get any negative votes, I'm fine with the change.

Best regards,

Mark Orciuch - morciuch@apache.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/