Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "F.R. Da Costa Gomez" <dc...@fixed.com> on 2003/03/17 14:53:12 UTC

ognl: notation

Hi all,

Just 2 small questions:

I've got an A.page & an A.java and an A.html as well as a Home.(page,
html & java)
 From Home.html I can do <span jwcid="@Insert" value="ognl:message">, no
worries.

Q: What is the syntax for doing the same thing from A.html (call the
Home.getMessage() method that is)?
Following are the ones I more or less expected but I'm probably
overlooking something because they give me an "unable to resolve
expression" error.
value="ognl:fully.qualified.classname.Home.message">

Q2: Is there any compelling reason to NOT just use @Insert rather than
mixing @Insert and @InsertText?

Thx in advance 4 the help,

Fermin DCG

Re: ognl: notation

Posted by Eric Everman <ev...@precedadesign.com>.
What you are trying to isn't possible.  A page can not call methods on
another page because you have no reference to the page (just like in the
Java object model).  Without a reference there may be zero or many
instances of that page, so there is no way to determine which instance to
call getMessage() on.  Tapestry pools instances of pages (see the docs for
this), so you should *never* try hold to hold a reference to a page or
component in your code.

If you need to store cross-page info like this, use the Visit interface.

Eric Everman