Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Norman Timmler <no...@neteye.de> on 2001/07/02 19:36:12 UTC

proposal: splitting struts mailing list

hi,

the daily mails in this mailinglist incrased a lot past the last month.
what do you think about to split the mailinglist into two. eg. into a
beginner and advanced one.

perhaps this could fit everybodys needs.

norman

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Norman Timmler
application developer

neteye GmbH
Alsterchaussee 3
20149 Hamburg
Tel +49-(0)40 85 40 26 -40
Fax +49-(0)40 85 40 26 -10
norman@neteye.de
http://neteye.de

Re: proposal: splitting struts mailing list

Posted by Peter Alfors <pe...@irista.com>.
The problem with splitting into two lists is that the "advanced" users will
not be around to answer the "beginner" questions.
I agree that there is a lot of traffic on this list, both beginner and
advanced.  I see it as a benefit though.
The beginners get to learn from the advanced, and the advanced (developers)
get to see the typical types of questions that are asked.  This may then
lead to a better design, or better documentation, etc.

Just my two cents.   :)

Pete

AW: proposal: splitting struts mailing list

Posted by Norman Timmler <no...@neteye.de>.
what features should this service have?
perhaps i can spend some time to develop one or modify an existing.

please propose some.

norman

Posted by Wayland Chan <in...@yahoo.com>.
We already have a struts-user and struts-dev list.

I doubt a beginner and advanced list would work
because newbies would likely cross-post to both lists
or even go directly to the advanced list because they
think a more advanced readership would be able to help
them.

My only suggestion would be to put a link on the
Struts homepage to the archives where people can
search for past resolutions to common problems.

Also, mailing list commands (how to unsubscribe)
should be echoed on the homepage. From the number of
unsubscribe posts we get in here, it's obvious people
aren't reading the reply from the mailing list upon
joining that teach them how to do all this.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.