Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Charles Gregory <cg...@hwcn.org> on 2010/01/12 21:39:10 UTC

Re: [sa] Faked _From_ field using our domain - how to filter/score?

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, Callum Millard wrote:
: The problem is spam with a faked 'From:' field.  Spammers are sending
: e-mails to our domain with the 'From:' field set to a valid e-mail
: address from our domain.

Key question: Can your users send mail 'From' their internal addresses via
ANY intrnet connection, or MUST they use your mail server via approved
internal connections? In the latter case, you can use the suggested check
for domains, or set up your SPF record for your domain.

Unfortunately, if you permit use of your domain name as a 'From' for users
on other connections (home DSL, etc), then you can only use a minimal
score in SA and must look for other spamsign.

- Charles

Re: [sa] Faked _From_ field using our domain - how to filter/score?

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
> In the latter case, you can use the suggested check
> for domains,

It doesn't matter which other mail servers the clients use.

Kai

RE: [sa] Faked _From_ field using our domain - how to filter/score?

Posted by Callum Millard <ca...@swarthmore.org.uk>.
Thanks to all who've replied.

SPF won't catch this type of spam as that only deals with the envelope and the faked field is in the body.  We already have SPF set up anyhow which obviously catches a fair few faked HELO's.

Kai's suggestion for Postfix will work for now, so thanks for that.  However I will need to drop that restriction once I set up external mail access so being able to score messages with a faked 'From' field is what I'd ideally like to do: and will need to do in the nearish future.  Is there a rule(set) around at the minute which can do this or do I need to learn Pearl?

Calum.

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, Charles Gregory wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, Callum Millard wrote:
> : The problem is spam with a faked 'From:' field.  Spammers are sending
> : e-mails to our domain with the 'From:' field set to a valid e-mail
> : address from our domain.
>
> Unfortunately, if you permit use of your domain name as a 'From' for
> users on other connections (home DSL, etc), then you can only use a
> minimal score in SA and must look for other spamsign.

If you do that you should require they use authenticated and encrypted
SMTP. SPF et. al. can be bypassed if that is known.

   Taking my gun away because I *might* shoot someone is like cutting
   my tongue out because I *might* yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater.
                                                   -- Peter Venetoklis
  5 days until Benjamin Franklin's 304th Birthday

Re: [sa] Faked _From_ field using our domain - how to filter/score?

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.