Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by dan li <da...@hotmail.com> on 2007/01/18 20:21:47 UTC

box trapper filter and wildcard question

Hello. I am wondering if the Box Trapper is a part of spam assasain? If so,
I am hoping some of you can give me the correct lines for the addresses I
want to whitelist by using wildcard expressions.

1)  all email ending in .edu to be whitelisted
2)  all email ending in .bellsouth.net

So are these the correct entries?

from \*\@\*\.edu
from \*\@\*\.bellsouthnet

Assume I'm using the latest version of spam assassain, but with my question
it shouldnt matter much.

Thank you for any help.

FREE online classifieds from Windows Live Expo – buy and sell with people
you know
http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwex0010000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://expo.live.com?s_cid=Hotmail_tagline_12/06

Re: box trapper filter and wildcard question

Posted by Jim Maul <jm...@elih.org>.
dan li wrote:
> Hello. I am wondering if the Box Trapper is a part of spam assasain? If
> so, I am hoping some of you can give me the correct lines for the
> addresses I want to whitelist by using wildcard expressions.

Boxtrapper appears to be part of (or an add on to) cpanel.  It is not
related in any way to spamassassin.

-Jim

Re: box trapper filter and wildcard question

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
dan li wrote:
> Hello. I am wondering if the Box Trapper is a part of spam assasain?
Never heard of it until now, but it's essentially the same thing as
TMDA, which is a particularly abhorrent idea.

Any kind of challenge-response "spam control" system is simply foisting
your spam problems into the in boxes of other people and asking them to
do the filtering for you.

Based on that, my own behavior is to immediately approve anything that I
know for sure I did not send, and refuse to approve anything I know I
did if it would be at all beneficial to the recipient (ie: advice,
tuning tips, etc).

After all, what reason do they have to believe I'm willing to make
accurate judgments for them? They've gone so far as to generate an
unwanted message into my mailbox regarding their spam, so I might as
well make sure they get that spam message they went to all the trouble
to bother me over.

I encourage *ALL* users of the Internet to do the same.

Hopefully we'll eventually be rid of the jerks who think that they can
control their spam problems by spamming everyone else on the internet
and making everyone else be their human-operated spam filter.

> If so, I am hoping some of you can give me the correct lines for the
> addresses I want to whitelist by using wildcard expressions.
>
> 1)  all email ending in .edu to be whitelisted
> 2)  all email ending in .bellsouth.net
>

> So are these the correct entries?
>
> from \*\@\*\.edu
> from \*\@\*\.bellsouthnet
Well whitelist_from, not from.

That said, this is an extraordinarily bad idea because from addresses
are easily forged, and commonly so. You *WILL* get a lot of spam
skipping past your filters if you do this.