Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com> on 1997/06/19 04:38:53 UTC

And the fun begins...

I'm going to make an executive decision here. Impeach me if you
will.

Ian (or anyone with access to a news feed with the "announcement"
post available), please cancel the posting?

Also, I would respectfully ask that Ambarish please remove the
distribution from his website.

In due time....

Posted by Ambarish Malpani <am...@isecurity.com>.
Hi Guys,
    Once again, the purpose of the posting was NOT to even try to
imply the work was any kind of an "official" port by AG. From the
fact that people have started posting bug reports to apache@apache.org,
I understand that you guys are concerned, both about the fact that
people might think you have released a partially ready product
and that you might get flooded with too many bug reports.

This has been my first major contribution to the freeware software
area and I would still like to let people download it and give me
feedback about what they like and dislike.

Does the following proposal sound reasonable?

Randy, if you could visit our web site http://www.valicert.com/goodies
and read the first page we show users about this NT port and give me
additional disclaimers you would like to see on the page, I will add
them ASAP.

Also, if you like, I can kill the previous post and put out another
one, where I again state that this work will not be supported by
AG, but that they plan to integrate this work, with additional bug
fixes and release an official version on NT some time in the future.
(again Randy, we can work on the precise wording of the post).

Ofcourse, the rest of you can give me/Randy comments on additional
disclaimers too, but I think we might be able to act faster if a single
person at AG takes on the task of framing the changes. Hopefully we
should be able to close this issue by tomorrow.

Would that work for the group?
Randy, my phone number is (408) 738-2040 if you want to call me.

Again, sorry for any bug reports that come to AG.

Ambarish
ambarish@valicert.com

Randy Terbush wrote:

> I'm going to make an executive decision here. Impeach me if you
> will.
>
> Ian (or anyone with access to a news feed with the "announcement"
> post available), please cancel the posting?
>
> Also, I would respectfully ask that Ambarish please remove the
> distribution from his website.
>
> In due time....

Ambarish Malpani
Architect					       (408) 738-2040
ValiCert, Inc.				      http://www.valicert.com
333 W. El Camino Real, Suite 270
Sunnyvale, CA 94087

Re: And the fun begins...

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Randy Terbush wrote:

> I'm going to make an executive decision here. Impeach me if you
> will.
>
> Ian (or anyone with access to a news feed with the "announcement"
> post available), please cancel the posting?
>
> Also, I would respectfully ask that Ambarish please remove the
> distribution from his website.
>
> In due time....

I don't think we have the authority to demand any such thing.  I
don't like that it was posted, I don't think it was time yet, I
don't think a big enough distinction was made that the released
version is NOT related to the Apache Group, but Ambarish is free to
do whatever with his code, as in the pre-integrated version.