Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sean Machin <sm...@Powercell.com> on 2002/03/01 17:05:00 UTC

tomcat startup problems on Linux box.

Hi All,

I am running Tomcat 4.0 on a Redhat 7.1 machine.
Everything is fine, except the startup/shutdown
scripts do not seem to work reliably.
I installed Tomcat from the RPM, so use the script
/etc/init.d/tomcat4 {shutdown|start}.
Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.
I can always restart the service with a reboot,
but don't want to have to do that.

Any ideas what could be going wrong?

Thanks,
Sean

Re: tomcat startup problems on Linux box.

Posted by Patrick Lee <pa...@patlee.org>.
I've noticed that "catalina.sh shutdown" doesn't always stop Tomcat.
It's easy to get around it, you can manually kill the Java process that
runs Tomcat. Tomcat won't start if there is already a running version.
To automate this, you can modify catalina.sh (just add two lines) to
save the process ID of the Tomcat Java process to a file (most Unix
daemons do that) when started. And kill the process when stopped.

--
Patrick Lee <pa...@patlee.org>