Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> on 2007/11/27 18:19:27 UTC

[VOTE] 10.3.2 release

Please test and vote on the 10.3.2.0 release candidate available at:

http://people.apache.org/~kmarsden/derby10.3.2.0.598453/

polls will close Thursday December 6, 2007 at 5:00PM PST.

Re: [VOTE] 10.3.2 release

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>> Please test and vote on the 10.3.2.0 release candidate available at:
>
> I'm still thinking about the change made to 10.3 for DERBY-3083.
>
> In 10.2 bringing up the server in all cases did not install a security
> manager.
>
> In 10.3.1.4:
>    - server did not start if the derby jars were re-named and no
> security manager was already installed. While this is a regression
> from 10.2 it was secure.
>
> In 10.3.2.0
>    - if the derby jars are renamed then no security manager is
> installed. This is a regression security wise from 10.3.1.4 but does
> fix a functional regression from 10.3.1.4.
>
> One real concern is that this new behaviour is 10.3.2.0 is not
> documented anywhere, it contradicts the existing documentation, thus a
> user will assume a security manager has been installed. There's also
> no information printed to any error log that no security manager exists.
>
> Dan.

I have reverted this patch in the 10.3 branch and in the trunk. I do not
think we will reach consensus on this issue before we need to generate
the next 10.3 release candidate.

Regards,
-Rick

Re: DERBY-3083 concerns (was Re: [VOTE] 10.3.2 release)

Posted by Mike Matrigali <mi...@sbcglobal.net>.
Kathey Marsden wrote:

Given the time constraint I would be ok with backing out
the DERBY-3083 fix for this bug fix release and let it get
resolved in the next bug fix release.

/mikem

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Re: [VOTE] 10.3.2 release

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] 10.3.2 release

Posted by Ole Solberg <Ol...@Sun.COM>.

Initial test results are available at http://dbtg.thresher.com/derby/test/

--
Ole Solberg, Database Technology Group,
Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway

Re: [CANCELLED] [VOTE] 10.3.2 release

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM>.
Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>> I think we must include Andrew's change. Since this is primarily an
>> administrative change, would it be possible to update the existing
>> release to only include this change?
>>
> There is a problem with the release process that you have to update to
> the latest to create the release or the sysinfo output is a range
> instead of a version,

Alternatively you could create a 10.3.2 branch from the revision of the
first release candidate and merge the single fix from 10.3 to
10.3.2. Not saying you should, only that you could if such a need ever
arises.

--
Knut Anders

Re: [CANCELLED] [VOTE] 10.3.2 release

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Laura Stewart wrote:
> Kathey -
>
> What time today do you expect to create the next release candidate?

I think within the next hour. I am just finishing up  a sanity test run
(so far so good).
If you are eager to get at it, it sits at:
 http://people.apache.org/~kmarsden/derby10.3.2.1.599110/

Re: [CANCELLED] [VOTE] 10.3.2 release

Posted by Laura Stewart <sc...@gmail.com>.
Kathey -

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> I think we must include Andrew's change. Since this is primarily an
> administrative change, would it be possible to update the existing
> release to only include this change?

There is a problem with the release process that you have to update to
the latest to create the release or the sysinfo output is a range
instead of a version, so we will pick up all 10.3 changes since the
first release candidate. Besides the backout of DERBY-3083 needs to go
in as well, so it should all work out.

Kathey

Re: [CANCELLED] [VOTE] 10.3.2 release

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@fastmail.fm>.
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> Andrew McIntyre wrote:
>> On Nov 27, 2007 3:50 PM, Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Andrew, do you think we need to recreate the release candidate for
>>> this?
>>>

>> I think this kind of license-type issue is best handled as soon as it
>> comes up.
> I think I will go ahead and roll a new release candidate to pick up
> Andrew's change.  I am canceling the vote.  Please hold off on
> checking into 10.3 today until I get it posted.
I think we must include Andrew's change. Since this is primarily an
administrative change, would it be possible to update the existing
release to only include this change?

 -jean

Re: [CANCELLED] [VOTE] 10.3.2 release

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Re: [VOTE] 10.3.2 release

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 27, 2007 3:50 PM, Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> > On Nov 27, 2007 9:19 AM, Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Please test and vote on the 10.3.2.0 release candidate available at:
> >>
> >> http://people.apache.org/~kmarsden/derby10.3.2.0.598453/
> >>
> >> polls will close Thursday December 6, 2007 at 5:00PM PST.
> >>

> > I found a small problem with the -src distribution.
> Andrew, do you think we need to recreate the release candidate for this?

I think this kind of license-type issue is best handled as soon as it
comes up. Enough to hold up the release, since it will definitely be
fixed for the next release? I'm not really sure. I'll vote -.5, and
leave it up to you as release manager to decide whether you want to
fix it now or leave it for the next person. Plus, there has yet to be
any other feedback, so maybe there will be another release candidate
anyway.

andrew

Re: [VOTE] 10.3.2 release

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Re: [VOTE] 10.3.2 release

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 27, 2007 9:19 AM, Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Please test and vote on the 10.3.2.0 release candidate available at:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~kmarsden/derby10.3.2.0.598453/
>
> polls will close Thursday December 6, 2007 at 5:00PM PST.

I found a small problem with the -src distribution. The stylesheets
from the DITA Open Toolkit appear in the lib folder of the doc part of
the source distribution. Since those were developed outside of Apache,
appropriate notice should be given in the notice file. 10.3.1.4 should
have had it as well, but since that release was the first time the doc
files were included in the -src distro, it's not surprising that we
missed something.

I committed this change to the NOTICE in the doc tree with revisions
598820 (trunk) and 598821 (10.3).

andrew