Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/16 21:16:21 UTC

Mentors: do we need to add ASF headers to shell script fragments?

Hi, all.

per https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/6#issuecomment-18022286

jclouds includes a utility called scriptbuilder, which generates shell
scripts from other fragments.  We've not added license headers in the past
as these scripts are combined at runtime.

Ex. you can imagine that doing a command like below, the resulting shell
script would senselessly have multiple ASF license headers inlined.

runScript = new StatementList(installJDK, addRoot);

I seriously have objections about insisting adding license headers to
script fragments, not only from the efficiency concern, but also that it
adds a chance of hard-to-troubleshoot bugs.  For example, if we added
license headers to the script fragment for nohup, everything that uses
nohup will have an extra 14 lines of comments, or we'd have to write code
to remove it.  In cases where scriptBuilder is used as EC2 instance data,
it might push us over the limit.

Bottom-line question is:

Does the ASF require license header on inputs to commands, such as shell
script fragments that are inputs to ScriptBuilder?

-A

Re: Mentors: do we need to add ASF headers to shell script fragments?

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.
OK here's the summary from quite an interesting irc session.

Nobody likes this, but if we all think beyond it, we can release and
eventually graduate.  Moreover we can reduce our burden on the IPMC and our
release managers who would have to answer for it.  I think for these
reasons there's more to gain working around the header policy
than futilely fighting it.

So, here's the going advice:

1. play conservative to help avoid IPMC questions and also ease the job of
our RM (Andrew B.)
2. this means that we'll add headers to everything in src with noted
exceptions in test resources
3. any rat exception will be noted as an xml comment in the RAT config in
the root pom.xml file

Thanks for the participation in a colorful topic such as this :)

-A

Posted by Ignasi <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.
in fact, it might be easier to implement this than correct all the test
resources.. do you have time to have a go at this?  It only affects
resources used in scriptbuilder loaded by classpath or osgi.

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.
Ignasi,

Posted by Ignasi <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.