Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> on 2002/06/13 03:21:21 UTC

Tracking public trees & private mods

If you wanted to track an open-source project, say APR, but keep
a set of modifications private, then you could create a svn tree,
check out the CVS APR inside the svn tree and check in everything,
including the CVS directories.  Then tracking APR is easy, just cvs
update, merge any conflicts between the local mods and the APR updates,
and finally svn commit.

This is nice because you can version the local mods and not just
leave them un-backed up on your computer.

However, I can't think of an easy way to make this work if/when
APR moves over to svn.  Then you can track APR, but you can't commit
your own modifications into any repository.

You could modify svn to use use one of several .svn directories.  For
example, you could tell svn to use an alternative .svn directory for
APR, say svn-apr, when you want to work with the APR svn server, and
use .svn for the local svn server.  The local svn server would treat
.svn-apr just like any other directory.

This would be pretty wasteful of space though.  Having the copies
of everything in .svn-apr backed up again by a .svn-apr directory
inside of .apr.

By the way, I think this would be pretty easy to do in BitKeeper.  You
would just set your parent to the local BK server and when you need
to, do bk pull <apr BK server>.

This is a usage model I'll need for svn.  Anybody have any ideas.

Blair

--
Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>

Re: Tracking public trees & private mods

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 08:21:21PM -0700, Blair Zajac wrote:

> This is a usage model I'll need for svn.  Anybody have any ideas.

i'm not sure off the top of my head how this should be done, but i
knwo that this kind of model (importing a vendor branch) is something
that the freebsd people really need before they can even consider
using svn.

-garrett

--
garrett rooney                    Remember, any design flaw you're
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net      sufficiently snide about becomes

Re: Tracking public trees & private mods

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 10:00:26AM -0500, David Summers wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > Blair Zajac wrote:
> > > If you wanted to track an open-source project, say APR, but keep
> > > a set of modifications private, then you could create a svn tree,
> > > check out the CVS APR inside the svn tree and check in everything,
> > > including the CVS directories.  Then tracking APR is easy, just cvs
> > > update, merge any conflicts between the local mods and the APR updates,
> > > and finally svn commit.
> >
> > Except that if a file is added in APR, you can very easily forget to run
> > "svn add" for it. However, I have a Python code which can read both CVS and
> > SVN entries file, so one day I might write a script to automate such adding.
> >
> > - Volodya
>
> What I did was do a "svn st" which showed me the new files and "svn add"ed
> them.

You can also simply do "svn add *" since it will ignore things that are
already under version control.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: Tracking public trees & private mods

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Vladimir Prus wrote:

> Blair Zajac wrote:
> > If you wanted to track an open-source project, say APR, but keep
> > a set of modifications private, then you could create a svn tree,
> > check out the CVS APR inside the svn tree and check in everything,
> > including the CVS directories.  Then tracking APR is easy, just cvs
> > update, merge any conflicts between the local mods and the APR updates,
> > and finally svn commit.
>
> Except that if a file is added in APR, you can very easily forget to run
> "svn add" for it. However, I have a Python code which can read both CVS and
> SVN entries file, so one day I might write a script to automate such adding.
>
> - Volodya

What I did was do a "svn st" which showed me the new files and "svn add"ed
them.

--
David Wayne Summers          "Linux: Because reboots are for upgrades!"
david@summersoft.fay.ar.us   PGP Key: http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/~david/pgp.txt

Re: Tracking public trees & private mods

Posted by Vladimir Prus <gh...@cs.msu.su>.

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.
Hey, it seems to work now!  Awesome!

Actually I think it was CVS that hung, not SVN the last time I tried this.

This will really help me in maintaining the RPM files I've been
developing.

  Thanks!

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.