Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com> on 2015/06/08 11:02:56 UTC

Java 7 minimum?

Folks,

Is there any objection to bumping the minimum Java version to 7 ?

I'm not aware of anyone with a hard dependency on Java 6.  Although it
has been sunsetted, it is still supported in production so I'll withdraw
the suggestion if anyone needs it.  However working on TypeCoercion of
string to date [1] I made heavy use of named-groups in regexes only to
discover this is a 7-only feature.  It wouldn't be too hard to add
jregex (or make flexible date-parsing a 7-only feature) but if no one
needs Java 6 this feels like a good enough reason to change.

(We'll need to update Jenkins to use Java 7 to build.)

Best
Alex

[1]  https://github.com/apache/incubator-brooklyn/pull/682

message after it was sent.