Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> on 2005/09/01 19:01:44 UTC

Problem with svn merge svn: REPORT request failed on '/repos/asf/!svn/vcc/default'

Well I am sure this must be something simple but  thought I would ask
for tips as I can't seem to fix it.

I have two separate 10.1 svn workspaces with the following URL.

Repository UUID: 13f79535-47bb-0310-9956-ffa450edef68
Revision: 264947
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal

I have merged changes to these workspaces before without trouble, but
now all of a sudden  I get the error below when trying to merge:

$ svn merge -r 219264:219265
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/code/trunk
svn: REPORT request failed on '/repos/asf/!svn/vcc/default'
svn:
Cannot replace a directory from within

>From what I understand,  this is usually caused by a mismatch of paths
between the SOURCE and WCPATH, but as far as I can tell these match up.
I can apply  patches, and commint from the 10.1 workspace just fine.
Only merge is affected.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Kathey

Re: Problem with svn merge svn: REPORT request failed on '/repos/asf/!svn/vcc/default'

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 9/2/05, Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I don't see a way with svn to apply the merge markers only without merging the actual
> change.   Is such a thing possible with svn?

Considering that svn doesn't actually track merges, the answer is no.
>From the book:

Like CVS, Subversion does not yet record any information about merge
operations. When you commit local modifications, the repository has no
idea whether those changes came from running svn merge, or from just
hand-editing the files.

Notice the 'yet' in that statement. Eventually, someday, svn may track
merges. As of this moment, it does not.

cheers,
andrew

Re: Problem with svn merge svn: REPORT request failed on '/repos/asf/!svn/vcc/default'

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

>Your best bet is probably to just reapply the original patch to the 10.1 branch.

Thanks Andrew for resolving this mystery !   I wanted to avoid the patch
route because I was concerned about proper ancestry being maintained.
I am guessing even for changes made after incubation we will need to
apply some patches to 10.1 if the merge is not automatic.  I don't see a

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 9/1/05, Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> $ svn merge -r 219264:219265
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/db/derby/code/trunk
> svn: REPORT request failed on '/repos/asf/!svn/vcc/default'
> svn:
> Cannot replace a directory from within
>
> Any ideas?

The problem is that at revision 219264, db/derby/code/trunk didn't
exist, we were still in the incubator. Unfortunately, the merge
doesn't seem to work with the incubator URL either, at least for me,
because the incubator dir no longer exists, even though we want to
merge something from a revision where it did exist (svn bug?)