Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Ivan Judson <iv...@microsoft.com> on 2015/08/29 17:46:31 UTC

windows 10 build - vs2015

Hi,

I'm continuing my investigation of building on w10 and vs15. I've followed the instructions with cmake here:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=qpid-proton.git;a=blob_plain;f=INSTALL.md;hb=0.10

and at this point:

Build and install from a command prompt (using msbuild)
    > cmake --build . --target install --config RelWithDebInfo

I get this error:

-- Installing: C:/Program Files (x86)/Proton/share/java/proton-j-0.10.jar
  CMake Error at proton-j/cmake_install.cmake:31 (file):
    file INSTALL cannot find
    "C:/dev/qpid-proton-0.10/build/proton-j/proton-j.jar".
  Call Stack (most recent call first):
    cmake_install.cmake:44 (include)

However, if I do the project files build specified next:

  1. Run the Microsoft Visual Studio IDE

  2. From within the IDE, open the ALL_BUILD project file or proton

     solution file - it should be in the 'build' directory you created

     above.

  3. Select the appropriate configuration. RelWithDebInfo works best

     with the included CMake/CTest scripts

It builds just fine (but I'm guessing there's no installing into \Program Files (x86)).

Why is the cmake build trying to install the proton-j.jar when it wasn't built?

Thanks,

--Ivan

Re: windows 10 build - vs2015

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Tue, 2015-09-01 at 15:45 +0000, Ivan Judson wrote:
> Hey Andrew,
>
> Thanks for the reply, a couple of comments below (inline).

> If this is a difference between unix and windows - maybe the default
> windows build shouldn’t try to build proton-j?

You are probably correct here - the reason it's not been done is that
the issue is really a build system problem rather than than a platform
problem, and few people (except you and me apparently!) have tried to
build and install Proton-J on Windows.

We should really just fix the build system issue so that we can make
install Proton-J on Windows.

Andrew

Re: windows 10 build - vs2015

Posted by Ivan Judson <iv...@microsoft.com>.
Hey Andrew,

On 9/1/15, 7:15 AM, "Andrew Stitcher" <as...@redhat.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 2015-08-29 at 15:46 +0000, Ivan Judson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm continuing my investigation of building on w10 and vs15. I've
>> followed the instructions with cmake here:
>>
>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=qpid-proton.git;a=blob_plai
>> n;f=INSTALL.md;hb=0.10
>>
>> and at this point:
>>
>> Build and install from a command prompt (using msbuild)
>>     > cmake --build . --target install --config RelWithDebInfo
>>
>> I get this error:
>>
>> -- Installing: C:/Program Files (x86)/Proton/share/java/proton-j
>> -0.10.jar
>>   CMake Error at proton-j/cmake_install.cmake:31 (file):
>>     file INSTALL cannot find
>>     "C:/dev/qpid-proton-0.10/build/proton-j/proton-j.jar".
>>   Call Stack (most recent call first):
>>     cmake_install.cmake:44 (include)
>>

>This is a known problem (I'm actually not sure it has a JIRA report
>though) you currently can't "make install" Proton-J on windows. You can
>build it successfully though.
>
>The cause is that the Unix build creates proton-j.jar and symlinks it
>to proton-j-0.10.jar (or perhaps its the other way round I don't
>recall) however symlinks aren't supported (to a first approximation
>anyway) on Windows so both names aren't there for the install process
>to use.
>
>If you don't care about Proton-J on Windows then just add
>"-DBUILD_JAVA=NO" to the cmake command line and Proton-J won't get
>built or attempt to be installed.

If this is a difference between unix and windows - maybe the default windows build shouldn’t try to build proton-j?

>As an aside you can look at the appveyer.yml file in proton to see how
>we build it on the Appveyor CI machine we use.

Great pointer. Thanks!

—Ivan

Re: windows 10 build - vs2015

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.