Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Peter Janes <pe...@tvworks.com> on 2005/04/08 22:13:14 UTC

xml-apis updated

I discovered in last night's local Gump run that XML Commons has been
updated to require JAXP 1.3, which I didn't have installed locally (just the
java-xml-pack as suggested by xml-commons.xml).  Brutus doesn't seem to run
at all since Wednesday, but I think it's going to get bitten pretty severely
the next time it does since xml-apis is a prereq for Ant.

The new version is available for download for pre-J2SE5.0 at
<URI:https://jaxp.dev.java.net/>.

Peter J.
--
Sometimes the Universe needs a change of perspective.
   --J. Michael Straczynski

Re: xml-apis updated

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Adam R. B. Jack <aj...@apache.org> wrote:

> Is there a way we could duplicate the Xalan project and have one
> build on 1.2 (that others depend upon) but have another build upon
> 1.3 (for reference as folks migrate?)

Sure, simply create a copy of the module, give them new names
(projects and the module) and change the xml-apis-12 dependency back
to xml-apis.

Same for Xerces which right now tricks Gump using xjavac IIUC.  We'd
have to remove the build.sysclasspath setting there as well.

> BTW: Were the JAXP interface changes really 'necessary
> discontinuities'?

As necessary as the changes to JDBC, for example.  The people
designing classes and interfaces for the Java classlib are not really
fond of backwards compatibility.

Stefan

Re: xml-apis updated

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
> This is to be expected - and this is why we had to play with xml-apis
> and bootclasspath and build.sysclasspath in order to get everything
> built under JDK 1.5 or Kaffe (which contain JAXP 1.3 in their version
> of the classlib already).
>
> We probably should add an xml-apis-12 project (either the one from the
> XML pack or the tck-jaxp-1_2_0 branch in xml-commons) and provide this
> to Xalan, Xerces and any other project we detect which won't build
> with JAXP 1.3 yet.

Thanks for doing this (I see the commits). Is there a way we could duplicate
the Xalan project and have one build on 1.2 (that others depend upon) but
have another build upon 1.3 (for reference as folks migrate?)  [Or, do we
merely need to use JDK1.5 or Kaffe for that?]

BTW: Were the JAXP interface changes really 'necessary discontinuities'? Or,
is it just too late for such a discussion topic?

regards,

Adam

Re: xml-apis updated

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
I've updated the metadata to place over JAXP 1.2 for now.

regards

Adam

Re: xml-apis updated

Posted by Maarten Coene <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Re: xml-apis updated

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: xml-apis updated

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
Peter wrote:

> I discovered in last night's local Gump run that XML Commons has been
> updated to require JAXP 1.3, which I didn't have installed locally (just
the
> java-xml-pack as suggested by xml-commons.xml).  Brutus doesn't seem to
run
> at all since Wednesday, but I think it's going to get bitten pretty
severely
> the next time it does since xml-apis is a prereq for Ant.

Thanks for the two heads up Peter, the "Brutus Gump down" and this.

Ok, so perhaps stepping in where angles fear to tread ... I installed
JAXP-1_3 as a package, and edited the jaxp project  (in xml-commons), along
with the package declaration in the gump profile, to reference these new
guys. I'm not comfortable about mixing them in with the rest of the XML
pack, but I guess I'll learn from it.

Looking at the run I've set off some things are not happy, e.g XALAN:

http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/xml-xalan/xalan/gump_work/build_xml-xalan_xalan.html

but I'm not sure if this is a legit (changed interface) problem, or if I
ought be looking for other updates (to add along with JAXP 1.3). I'll look
into it as I get time.

Amazingly my WISP link is coping w/ the two foot of snow we have up here
this morning, but I'm not sure how long that'll last (or when it'll stop
snowing :-). If I get cut off for a while, and others can figure out what is
occurring, please do help out.

regards,

Adam