Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Karthik <ka...@yahoo.com> on 2010/05/26 01:31:00 UTC

How to export Hive query results or output to a HDFS file/folder

I need to output the query results of a Hive table to a MySQL DB.  We don't want to write a DBWriter as our Hadoop cluster and DB are in different Data centers.  It would help if I can output/redirect the query results to a HDFS or a local file.  Is there a way?

- KK.

Re: How to export Hive query results or output to a HDFS file/folder

Posted by Aaron Kimball <aa...@cloudera.com>.
Karthik,

Check out Sqoop. It lets you run a parallel export operation to insert
HDFS-file-backed data (such as Hive tables) back into a database. If you
installed Hadoop via CDH3 (Cloudera's Distribution for Hadoop), this is
available in /usr/bin/sqoop.  Otherwise see http://github.com/cloudera/sqoop.
Sqoop can also copy data in from a database to HDFS.

Cheers,
- Aaron