Posted to users@maven.apache.org by MH <ma...@hotmail.co.uk> on 2012/01/09 11:15:51 UTC

Installation glitch!

Hi

I am a first time user of maven and new to open source in general. I have downloaded the latest version .bin file and followed the instructions “copied and pasted” below:
Windows 2000/XP
  1.. Unzip the distribution archive, i.e. apache-maven-3.0.3-bin.zip to the directory you wish to install Maven 3.0.3. These instructions assume you chose C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation. The subdirectory apache-maven-3.0.3 will be created from the archive.
  2.. Add the M2_HOME environment variable by opening up the system properties (WinKey + Pause), selecting the "Advanced" tab, and the "Environment Variables" button, then adding the M2_HOME variable in the user variables with the value C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\apache-maven-3.0.3. Be sure to omit any quotation marks around the path even if it contains spaces. Note: For Maven < 2.0.9, also be sure that the M2_HOME doesn't have a '\' as last character.
  3.. In the same dialog, add the M2 environment variable in the user variables with the value %M2_HOME%\bin.
  4.. Optional: In the same dialog, add the MAVEN_OPTS environment variable in the user variables to specify JVM properties, e.g. the value -Xms256m -Xmx512m. This environment variable can be used to supply extra options to Maven.
  5.. In the same dialog, update/create the Path environment variable in the user variables and prepend the value %M2% to add Maven available in the command line.
  6.. In the same dialog, make sure that JAVA_HOME exists in your user variables or in the system variables and it is set to the location of your JDK, e.g. C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_02 and that %JAVA_HOME%\bin is in your Path environment variable.
  7.. Open a new command prompt (Winkey + R then type cmd) and run mvn --version to verify that it is correctly installed.
After running several different permutations and attempting to gain an expected response from the command prompt  using mvn –version the system has proved to be not properly installed. The command mvn is not recognised. I have a standard Windows 7 install with a fairly standard AMD processor. Plenty of memory and disk space.

Can anyone identify what might be causing this phenomenon on my machine?

Many thanks

Martin Harrison

Re: Installation glitch!

Posted by MH <ma...@hotmail.co.uk>.
Hi Thorsten

Right first time. I re-booted my machine and now I have maven functioning.
The paths to both the maven install and the jdk are identified in the shell
script.

Many thanks

Martin

> I am a first time user of maven and new to open source in general.

Congrats and welcome!

> After running several different permutations and attempting to gain an
> expected response from the command prompt  using mvn –version the system

> has proved to be not properly installed. The command mvn is not
> recognised. I have a standard Windows 7 install with a fairly standard
> AMD processor. Plenty of memory and disk space.
>
> Can anyone identify what might be causing this phenomenon on my machine?

I assume you have installed Java on your machine...?
Have you tried to logout and then login again before trying out "mvn
--version"? Changing environment variables doesn't have any influence to
already running programs...

Regards

Thorsten

Re: Installation glitch!

Posted by Thorsten Heit <th...@vkb.de>.
Hi,

Re: Installation glitch!

Posted by MH <ma...@hotmail.co.uk>.
Thank you Guillaume. Check my response to Thorsten. I have the maven install
functioning now with the proper paths installed.

Looks like mvn is not on your path (the purpose of step 2 thru 7 is to
have, one way or another, the bin directory of Maven in your path
variable). Note that after updating the environment variables you should
open a new terminal and not reuse an existing one. If that is not your
problem, could you post the output of the command set (just type 'set'
without the single quotes in a terminal).

Cheers,
Guillaume

Re: Installation glitch!

Posted by igorm <ig...@hotmail.com>.
Guillaume,

Thanks. I did go over your reply.
Sorry but how do I copy from the command terminal?

Re: Installation glitch!

Posted by MH <ma...@hotmail.co.uk>.
Thanks. I had moved to Eclipse as a result of some earlier difficulties with
the Tomcat and Axis 2 in Maven. This was an offshoot of the original glitch.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Re: Installation glitch!

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Installation glitch!

Re: Installation glitch!

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Installation glitch!

Re: Installation glitch!

Re: Installation glitch!

Posted by Guillaume Polet <gu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Igor,

I guess that your installation is located here, then:

C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\apache-maven-3.0.3\bin

I suppose that the line returns and other strange split are due to the
Windows-terminal (it sucks, I know. A way around this is to type 'set >
set.txt' which will output everything to a set.txt file and then open
that file).
Have you checked opening the Terminal to that precise location and type
'mvn -version' directly there.
Have you looked for a typo somewhere?
Could it be that you installed Maven in the 'Program files (x86)' folder
instead of the default 'Program Files'? (That is a big difference with
WinXP).

Whitespaces could be an issue, although it should work (you can try java
-version, it work).

Some users suggested to install maven in a path without whitespaces
(like c:\Users\Maven). Of course, this requires to change the path
environment variable accordingly.

Other users suggested simply restarting the computer, but I have some
doubts about this. Normally, terminals/shells are initiated with their
default environment variables and it is "cached" in the terminal,
meaning that changes made afterwards are not directly taken into
account, but if you re-open one you get the latest set values.
Let us know your findings.

Cheers,
Guillaume

Re: Installation glitch!

Posted by igorm <ig...@hotmail.com>.
OK, got it.

Here it is and thanks again.

C:\Windows\system32>set
ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData
APPDATA=C:\Users\igorm\AppData\Roaming
asl.log=Destination=file
CLASSPATH=.;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\ext\QTJava.zip
CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
CommonProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files
CommonProgramW6432=C:\Program Files\Common Files
COMPUTERNAME=IGORM-LAPTOP
ComSpec=C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\Users\igorm
IVIROOTDIR32=C:\Program Files (x86)\IVI Foundation\IVI\
IVIROOTDIR64=C:\Program Files\IVI Foundation\IVI\
JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_30
KMP_DUPLICATE_LIB_OK=TRUE
LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\igorm\AppData\Local
LOGONSERVER=\\IGORM-LAPTOP
M2=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\apache-maven-3.0.3\bin
M2_HOME=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\apache-maven-3.0.3
MKL_SERIAL=YES
NIDAQmxSwitchDir=C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\NI-DAQ\Switch\
NIEXTCCOMPILERSUPP=C:\Program Files (x86)\National
Instruments\Shared\ExternalCo
mpilerSupport\C\
NIIVIPATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\IVI Foundation\IVI\
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2
OnlineServices=Online Services
OS=Windows_NT
Path=C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program
File
s (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows
Live;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Window
s;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Progra
m Files (x86)\ATI
Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\MATLAB701\bin\win32;C:\Pro
gram Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files (x86)\IVI
Foundation\IVI\b
in;C:\Program Files\IVI Foundation\IVI\bin;C:\Program Files\IVI
Foundation\VISA\
Win64\Bin\;C:\Program Files (x86)\IVI
Foundation\VISA\WinNT\Bin\;C:\PROGRA~2\IVI
FOU~1\VISA\WinNT\Bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\IVI
Foundation\VISA\WinNT\Bin;C:\Pro
gram Files\TortoiseSVN\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
Live\Shared;C:\Program
 Files (x86)\SSH Communications Security\SSH Secure Shell;C:\Program
Files\Java\
jdk1.6.0_30\bin;C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\apache-maven-3.0.3\b
in
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC
PCBRAND=Pavilion
Platform=MCD
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=AMD64
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10, GenuineIntel
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
PROCESSOR_REVISION=170a
ProgramData=C:\ProgramData
ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
ProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)
ProgramW6432=C:\Program Files
PROMPT=$P$G
PSModulePath=C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\
PUBLIC=C:\Users\Public
QTJAVA=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\ext\QTJava.zip
SystemDrive=C:
SystemRoot=C:\Windows
TEMP=C:\Users\igorm\AppData\Local\Temp
TMP=C:\Users\igorm\AppData\Local\Temp
USERDOMAIN=IGORM-LAPTOP
USERNAME=igorm
USERPROFILE=C:\Users\igorm
VXIPNPPATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\IVI Foundation\VISA\
VXIPNPPATH64=C:\Program Files\IVI Foundation\VISA\
windir=C:\Windows

Re: Installation glitch!

Posted by Guillaume Polet <gu...@gmail.com>.
Have you looked at the archive of this thread? Here is a copy of my answer:

Re: Installation glitch!

Re: Installation glitch!

Posted by Guillaume Polet <gu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Installation glitch!

Posted by MH <ma...@hotmail.co.uk>.
Thanks Jeff I have it now.

Probably because you have spaces in the directory where you installed Maven
(C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation)

Regards
Jeff MAURY

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 11:15 AM, MH <ma...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am a first time user of maven and new to open source in general. I have
> downloaded the latest version .bin file and followed the instructions
> “copied and pasted” below:
> Windows 2000/XP
>  1.. Unzip the distribution archive, i.e. apache-maven-3.0.3-bin.zip to
> the directory you wish to install Maven 3.0.3. These instructions assume
> you chose C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation. The subdirectory
> apache-maven-3.0.3 will be created from the archive.
>  2.. Add the M2_HOME environment variable by opening up the system
> properties (WinKey + Pause), selecting the "Advanced" tab, and the
> "Environment Variables" button, then adding the M2_HOME variable in the
> user variables with the value C:\Program Files\Apache Software
> Foundation\apache-maven-3.0.3. Be sure to omit any quotation marks around
> the path even if it contains spaces. Note: For Maven < 2.0.9, also be sure
> that the M2_HOME doesn't have a '\' as last character.
>  3.. In the same dialog, add the M2 environment variable in the user
> variables with the value %M2_HOME%\bin.
>  4.. Optional: In the same dialog, add the MAVEN_OPTS environment variable
> in the user variables to specify JVM properties, e.g. the value -Xms256m
> -Xmx512m. This environment variable can be used to supply extra options to
> Maven.
>  5.. In the same dialog, update/create the Path environment variable in
> the user variables and prepend the value %M2% to add Maven available in
> the
> command line.
>  6.. In the same dialog, make sure that JAVA_HOME exists in your user
> variables or in the system variables and it is set to the location of your
> JDK, e.g. C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_02 and that %JAVA_HOME%\bin is in
> your Path environment variable.
>  7.. Open a new command prompt (Winkey + R then type cmd) and run mvn
> --version to verify that it is correctly installed.
> After running several different permutations and attempting to gain an
> expected response from the command prompt  using mvn –version the system
> has proved to be not properly installed. The command mvn is not
> recognised.
> I have a standard Windows 7 install with a fairly standard AMD processor.
> Plenty of memory and disk space.
>
> Can anyone identify what might be causing this phenomenon on my machine?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Martin Harrison

working and scaling.
- Bjarne Stroustrup