Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Carine Porret <cp...@capgemini.fr> on 2000/10/23 15:43:30 UTC

XSP and LDAP problem

Hello,

I have a problem configuring Cocoon and more particularly making the XSP examples work. I get the following error :
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.w3c.dom.Node: method normalize()V not found
at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.language.java.XSPJavaPreprocessor.process(XSPJavaPreprocessor.java, Compiled Code)

I checked the Node class and the method normalize is there! Could anybody help me out? Or maybe send me the dom classes if my version is incorrect?

Other question: I use the LDAP processor and connect to a ldap directory. It works fine but if I try to connect to a second directory, I get the error : javax.naming.ServiceUnavailableException: 194.3.224.160:389
How can I know what the error means?

Thank you for your help,

Best Regards,

Carine Porret
cporret@capgemini.fr

Re: XSP and LDAP problem

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Benjamin Schmid wrote:

> I have exactly the same problem THOUGH loading xerces.jar prior to
> any other jar (as in FAQ)! I've also tried the new xerces 1.2.1 with
> my cocoon 1.8. No sucess!

Possibly you have jaxp.jar and parser.jar in $JAVA_HOME/jre/ext? Just a
guess..

Here's how I tackle this sort of classpath issue (Tomcat, linux):

Restart Tomcat
Watch the error logs:
% tail -f $TOMCAT_HOME/logs/*.log
Load a file from the context (in a browser). Tomcat will print the full
CLASSPATH for that context in the logs/stdout.
Set the shell's CLASSPATH to the context's CLASSPATH that Tomcat printed:
% export CLASSPATH=<paste what Tomcat reported>
Use Kevin Burton's 'classman' tool (http://relativity.yi.org/classman/) to
figure out the first jar containing the offending class:
% classman --find org.w3c.dom.Node
Make sure the first jar found isn't parser.jar (JAXP1.0 Sun parser) or
xml.jar (old Sun "Project X" parser).

Hope that helps

--Jeff

Re: XSP and LDAP problem

Posted by Benjamin Schmid <b....@tiscon.de>.

Re: XSP and LDAP problem

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Carine Porret wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem configuring Cocoon and more particularly making the
> XSP examples work. I get the following error :
> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.w3c.dom.Node: method normalize()V not
> found at
> org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.language.java.XSPJavaPreprocessor.process(XSPJavaPreprocessor.java,
> Compiled Code)
>
> I checked the Node class and the method normalize is there! Could
> anybody help me out? Or maybe send me the dom classes if my version is
> incorrect?

I think the other postings and FAQ explain this. This seems to illustrate
quite a fundamental problem with Java packages. When the next version of
DOM comes out there will be a whole new set of conflicts. How much longer
can this continue?

> Other question: I use the LDAP processor and connect to a ldap
> directory. It works fine but if I try to connect to a second
> directory, I get the error : javax.naming.ServiceUnavailableException:
> 194.3.224.160:389 How can I know what the error means?

The explanation of such exception messages is in the JNDI javadocs
(http://java.sun.com/products/jndi/). Your exception probably means the
LDAP server is down, or not reachable. Can you connect to the directory
from a client LDAP browser? Btw, you might want to consider the LDAP
taglib, which is more flexible than the LDAP processor, and fixes one
nasty bug with binary attributes. It's at
http://kenny.socialchange.net.au/~jeff/ldaptaglib

--Jeff