Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Will Raymond <wr...@tibco.com> on 2003/04/08 06:00:40 UTC

Example of using JMX within Tomcat for application configuration?

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to create two MBeans within Tomcat to manage to
sets of resources within my web-based application.  The
first set of resources represent the logging levels I want
my app to respond to.  The second set of resources represent
app specific parameters.

Ideally, I'd like to create a MBean with an
external application that Tomcat could import on
initial startup.

I currently have an install program that
sets various parameters required for my web-app to
function correctly.  I persist these parameters by
splatting them out to a XML file and store it within the TC
classpath hierarchy (to be read the first time the
web-app is run).

Is there a way to create a MBean analogue of this XML file and store it (and its
descriptor)
somewhere that TC/MX4J can automatically load when it first runs?

Are there any examples of creating a 'user' level MBean
and managing it from within a webapp?  All the Tomcat
code seems to be rather heavyweight and not oriented
towards pre-initializing and post-persisting application
level configuration information.

Thanks,

Will