Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/12 18:32:21 UTC

Re: svn commit: r835458 - in /commons/proper/jexl/trunk: src/main/java/org/apache/commons/jexl/ src/main/java/org/apache/commons/jexl/scripting/ src/test/java/org/apache/commons/jexl/ xdocs/

On 12/11/2009, henrib@apache.org <he...@apache.org> wrote:
> Author: henrib
>  Date: Thu Nov 12 17:22:06 2009
>  New Revision: 835458

>  Log:
>  Changed exception handling; ParseException is no longer exposed through public APIs, only JexlException and UnifiedJEXL.Exception are used, the API now only uses unchecked exceptions.

What's the rationale for this change?

It may be a good idea (or it may not); either way I think it should
have been discussed on the dev list first and/or via a JIRA
enhancement request.

S///

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 12/11/2009, Henrib <hb...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Given JEXL usage - aka embedded in something else-, Runtime exceptions are
>  easier to work with and give more choice. JexlException and
>  UnifiedJEXL.Exception are already Runtime exceptions and are sufficient;
>  having a checked Exception for parsing does not bring any value and was
>  inconsistent with the approach of having a minimal footprint.
>
>  As for the process itself, it just seemed given the size of the JEXL
>  community that such a change would not foster much interest as a discussion
>  (using JEXL-61 as an example-). My bad.

I saw JEXL-61, and it seemed OK, so did not bother commenting.

>  I'll soon try to cut the RC1 so if you've got any (other) strong concerns
>  about what has been done so far, please tell me now.

I can't think of anything offhand just at the moment (I've just fixed
the typos introduced in r834535).

Posted by Henrib <hb...@gmail.com>.