Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> on 2019/10/23 21:40:25 UTC

JDK deployment support for NetBeans releases

Hi all,

I suggest that for deployment platforms, we always specify the following:

1. NetBeans runs on JDK 8.
2. NetBeans runs on the latest LTS release, i.e., currently JDK 11.
3. NetBeans runs on the latest current non-LTS release, i.e., currently JDK
13.

In other words, for Apache NetBeans 11.2, if someone complains about
problems running on JDK 12 (or 9 or 10), we should say "JDK 12 (or 9 or 10)
is not the current non-LTS nor LTS release -- please use either JDK 8, 11,
or 13."

The deployment platforms sections of the download pages I have updated
accordingly:
https://netbeans.apache.org/download/nb110/nb110.html
https://netbeans.apache.org/download/nb111/nb111.html

Comments and hopefully mainly agreement is welcome.

Gj

Re: JDK deployment support for NetBeans releases

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID>.
On 10/23/19 4:40 PM, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:
> I suggest that for deployment platforms, we always specify the following:
>
> 1. NetBeans runs on JDK 8.
> 2. NetBeans runs on the latest LTS release, i.e., currently JDK 11.
> 3. NetBeans runs on the latest current non-LTS release, i.e., currently JDK
> 13.
>
> In other words, for Apache NetBeans 11.2, if someone complains about
> problems running on JDK 12 (or 9 or 10), we should say "JDK 12 (or 9 or 10)
> is not the current non-LTS nor LTS release -- please use either JDK 8, 11,
> or 13."
>
> The deployment platforms sections of the download pages I have updated
> accordingly:
> https://netbeans.apache.org/download/nb110/nb110.html
> https://netbeans.apache.org/download/nb111/nb111.html
>
> Comments and hopefully mainly agreement is welcome.

Totally agree. If you're not on an LTS (or 8), you should be on the latest.

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

Re: JDK deployment support for NetBeans releases

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Azul is starting something they call MTS....

So you will have support for JDK versions inbetween LTS releases...

Maybe something to consider..

-Sven

Posted by David Green <dg...@gmail.com>.
+1