Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Bill Comisky <bc...@pobox.com> on 2003/08/13 16:09:19 UTC

merge & commit -- log question

I'm going to be merging branch changes back into the trunk soon for a
project I'm working on.  After I do the merge and commit the changes, I
won't be able to see the individual log messages for the commits made on
the branch when I 'svn log' the trunk, just the log message for the
post-merge commit.

I'm curious, is it typical to do a 'svn log' on the branch and use those
messages in that post-merge commit?  Or do you just note the
branch/revision so people can go back and 'svn log' on the branch if they
need to.  What do you do?

bill

--
Bill Comisky
bcomisky@pobox.com

Re: merge & commit -- log question

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
Bill Comisky <bc...@pobox.com> writes:

> I'm going to be merging branch changes back into the trunk soon for a
> project I'm working on.  After I do the merge and commit the changes, I
> won't be able to see the individual log messages for the commits made on
> the branch when I 'svn log' the trunk, just the log message for the
> post-merge commit.
>
> I'm curious, is it typical to do a 'svn log' on the branch and use those
> messages in that post-merge commit?  Or do you just note the
> branch/revision so people can go back and 'svn log' on the branch if they
> need to.  What do you do?

For me, it depends on the size of the merge.  If I'm merging one or
two changes, I'll go ahead and include those log messages.  If I'm
merging 1000 revisions, I'll just refer to the revision range and let
folks do the work themselves.