Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2007/08/20 02:17:35 UTC

Stripping the tutorial

hello every one:
I am reading the following tutorial:

http://people.apache.org/~taylor/tutorial/docs/site/02/page-decoration.html

Followed every single step and things are fine (thank you for the
documentation).
Now, I am reading through section 2 (02. Customizing Your Portal Design)
I don't think that I understand what's going on.
In the tutorial there should be four downloads
http://people.apache.org/~taylor/tutorial/docs/site/references/tutorial_distribution.html:
I have tried the first section of the tutorial as described, and then I
diverged a bit and deleted the project "express-demo" and pointed the
variable
app.server.home to /opt/tomcat, which where I have tomcat installed for
my development. Now I am getting the same results. So why do I need the
express -demo ?

How do I avoid including tomcat in the installer ?

Re: Stripping the tutorial

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Aug 22, 2007, at 9:35 AM, Mansour wrote:

> David Sean Taylor wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 19, 2007, at 7:50 PM, Mansour wrote:
>>
>>> One more question, how can I use jetspeed with jsp. I don't to
>>> use velocity. Is there a way ?
>>>

>> Being an open source project, we try to support different web
>> application frameworks
>> If you look through the source code in Bridges and Jetspeed
>> Applications you will see examples of writing portlets with JSP,
>> JSF, Velocity, Groovy, and we are soon to be adding  Wicket examples
>> I know you expect tutorials and books, and that is all very
>> valuable, but sometimes the best way to learn is to just svn
>> checkout the code, I mean, if you are into that sort of thing
>
> I don't think I want to do this. It will vey time consuming to
> download and read the source. Is there a graphical presentation of
> the jetspeed and a portlet. Just to demonstrate how things are
> related to each other (ie. portals, portlets, portal apps, web
> pages...etc. )?

Recommend starting with the documentation:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/

And the portal spec, as we follow the portal spec very closely. The
first section makes has great definitions of what is a portal,
portlet, PA, etc...

http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=168

Finally, a free book:

http://www.manning.com/hepper/

Re: Stripping the tutorial

Posted by Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Stripping the tutorial

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Re: Stripping the tutorial

Posted by Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Mansour wrote:
> Alex, it in the same tutorial section 4:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~taylor/tutorial/docs/site/04/taglib.html
>

> alex christidis wrote:
>> Hi there Mansour!
>>
>> Could you please point out where you found your answer on the
>> question of
>> how to use JSP?
>> I will be using though Maven to built my portal!
I tried maven and it didn't work for me.
>> Is it completely diferent from Ant and Eclipse?
>> I mean....maven works as well along with Eclipse or Its just Maven by it
>> self?

>> And also is there any tutorial on how to get started with Jetspeed and
>> Maven....because this for Ant & Eclipse seems great...
I looked around but couldn't find a lot of resources for jetspeed. The
only resources we have IMHO are the website and the mailing list.

Re: Stripping the tutorial

Posted by Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Stripping the tutorial

Posted by alex christidis <cy...@gmail.com>.
Hi there Mansour!

Re: Stripping the tutorial

Posted by Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Stripping the tutorial

Posted by Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Stripping the tutorial

Posted by Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com>.
It worked. Thank you very much.
Now I know what are the very basic set of files that I need to play with
and get familiar.
I did not copy the j2-admin. I don't need it now. When I had a look at
the tutorial to build form source, it had many properties, so I though
these properties will be hard coded and once jetspeed is built, I can
not copy it and deploy it to another server without rebuilding. This
little test, gave me what I need.
My next step will be to try to package the whole thing in a war file and
deploy it to an existing tomcat.
Thank you again

Re: Stripping the tutorial

Posted by Mansour <ma...@yahoo.com>.
That was very fast response, thank you everyone.
I'll try it soon.

Re: Stripping the tutorial

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Re: Stripping the tutorial