Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2012/02/20 17:43:30 UTC

Re: lucene-solr pull request: Fixing typo in example schema: 'salves' => 'slaves'

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 11:07:05AM -0500, Mark Miller wrote:
> I think the problem is around the ASF's thoughts on what it means to
> contribute a patch in JIRA and click the check box about donating. They seem
> to find that important, and you don't have the same mechanism when grabbing
> pull requests from github.

The checkbox is not mandatory.  What is required is archived documentation of
clear intent on the part of the contributor to contribute on our terms, which
can take numerous forms.

    http://s.apache.org/roy-on-contributions-and-git

    Apache projects are not required to use Jira.  Contributions can
    be contributed using any of our communication forums and they are
    considered to be under the Apache License 2.0.

    Yes, that opinion comes from me speaking as a board member and
    author of the Apache License, and has previously been cleared
    with Apache's legal team for a long ago discussion with Incubator.

    We have archives on all of our communication channels. We don't need the
    silly checkbox. We never have.

The requirement that the documentation of the contributor's intent must reside
within archived channels controlled by the ASF poses challenges when
attempting to integrate with a self-contained external hosting platform such
as Github.  As that long thread on infrastructure-dev illustrates, though,
there is significant effort being expended to try to help us to work together.

Marvin Humphrey