Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stephan Michels <st...@apache.org> on 2004/03/12 10:23:26 UTC

Re: Using Maven (or something similar) for dependencies? (Was: Cocoon's Rhino+continuations fork)

Am Fr, den 12.03.2004 schrieb Bertrand Delacretaz um 07:47:

> Sounds like the way to go, intelligently downloading dependencies from
> some non-ASF repository should solve most, maybe all of the licensing
> problems, and help make Cocoon more lightweight for many uses.
>
> IIRC last time this was discussed the debate quickly moved to a heated
> discussion on the relative merits of Maven and other similar tools - if
> we're going to discuss this again, we must be careful to focus on the
> goals rather than on the tools!

You don't need to migrate to maven to have the automatic download
mechanism, see Ruper(http://krysalis.org/ruper/). Should be easy to
integrate into the existing build system. I think this
is the way to go.

Stephan.

RE: Using Maven (or something similar) for dependencies? (Was: Cocoon's Rhino+continuations fork)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Reinhard Pötz wrote:

> Stephan Michels wrote:
>
> >Am Fr, den 12.03.2004 schrieb Bertrand Delacretaz um 07:47:
> >

> >>Sounds like the way to go, intelligently downloading
> dependencies from
> >>some non-ASF repository should solve most, maybe all of the
> licensing
> >>problems, and help make Cocoon more lightweight for many uses.
> >>
> >>IIRC last time this was discussed the debate quickly moved
> to a heated
> >>discussion on the relative merits of Maven and other
> similar tools -
> >>if we're going to discuss this again, we must be careful to
> focus on
> >>the goals rather than on the tools!
> >>

> >You don't need to migrate to maven to have the automatic download
> >mechanism, see Ruper(http://krysalis.org/ruper/). Should be easy to
> >integrate into the existing build system. I think this is the way to
> >go.
> >

> Or maybe Ant-get is enough
> (http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/get.html)

We have to fetch only those jars that aren't allowed in our CVS.
I think the first step should be to list those jars and then we
can see what we can do with each of them. And downloading them
during the build should be imho the last option.

So, do we have a list?

Carsten

Re: Using Maven (or something similar) for dependencies? (Was: Cocoon's Rhino+continuations fork)

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org>.

--
Reinhard